Thursday, January 8, 2009

What Toy Construstion Vehicles Can Teach an Adult

I had the opportunity to play with Buddy E last night by himself. Like any two year old, he went from one thing to the next depending on what I was doing and where I was working. After a few minutes of work, I would stop and play with him for about 10 minutes frequently throughout the night. I don't often have the gift of having him to myself and wanted to devote quality nuggets of time with him, yet get the kitchen cleaned up from the day's activities.

I learned or was reminded of a huge biblical truth last night through this play time. Buddy E was playing with our toy crane, that includes orange wood barriers, construction men, a wheel barrow, and several other vehicles that move imaginary dirt and spread asphalt. Buddy E consistently would grab the construction man and road barrier and have them hop over to the field on the opposite side of the table.

Well, I wanted the construction man to sit in the crane and tried to take it from Buddy E (guess I didn't learn the gift of asking). Buddy E screamed "NO!" You see, he needed the construction man to lift the road barrier.

Do you see the spiritual lesson?

Buddy E was paying attention to the small details going on in this imaginary scene of life. In life, road barriers don't move by some imaginary unseen force on the construction site of life, they are picked up by men or a crane. Someone has to have some forethought as to where the barrier needs to be moved to. Buddy E was showing me, unbeknownst to him, a very important thing. God cares about the little details in my life, my movement throughout my day and yours. He cares about the barriers and wants to move them for me. But I have to remember that He is there. I have to take the time and ask Him for help, read His Word, worship. When you take God out of the fieldwork, moving heavy objects becomes a lot harder.

"Jesus therefore said, 'When you lift up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am He, and I do nothing on My own initiative, but I speak these things as the Father taught Me. And He who sent Me is with Me; He has not left Me alone, for I always do the things that are pleasing to Him.'" (John 8:28-29)

2 comments:

Christina Johnson said...

I love that your heart is teachable...even when the teacher is your little boy. :) Thanks for being sensitive to the Spirit and sharing it on your blog. I am always blessed..even though I don't make my own pie crust! :)

Rick and Beth said...

Ha! I just read Christina's post. I love keeping up with you via your blog. Speaking of crust...do you have a good recipe for whole wheat pizza crust? Oh, I don't make my own pie crust but I did make some granola yesterday!