Saturday, May 2, 2009

Storms, Swing Sets, Red Box, and God's Word

The anniversary of the day our swing set flew is approaching. It was a crazy night. A night I don't wish to repeat. Our trees still lean from the submissive wind beating they took.
Let me just mention that soon after that swing set had been built (the first time), the hotty husband had remarked, "Nothing will ever move this heavy thing." I agree, Rainbow Play Sets are built to last.
But not to withstand a tornado.
I am not superstitious. His statement did not cause the wind storm. But it did serve as a reminder that only eternal things will remain.
While we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal. 2 Corinthians 4:18
At one point during this nerve wracking rain event, we gathered up one-week old Mr. Smiley and his two older brothers. We discovered that our tiny downstairs bathroom could contain two adults, a toddler, one preschooler and a large panting dog with bad breath. Any attempt to look out our windows proved futile. The wind was so strong that the rain looked like bullets with strings attached as they screamed down from the heavens. Almost as quickly as the storm started it dissipated.
In the wee-hours of the morning our neighbors ventured out. Everyone was cautious, as if our street was suffering the aftermaths of a nuclear attack. We saw more neighbors that night than normally seen during the day. You could hear fire sirens rushing from one call to the next in that soaked silence.
The hubby, always looking for adventure, went out. He discovered that the swing set had been picked up and dropped 20 feet.
My immediate self-less thought, of course was, "What on earth am I going to do without a swing set to entertain two children with a new baby in the house?" OK . . . it wasn't one of my finer or profound or spiritual comments. I am human.

This natural disaster taught me many things.

But today God showed me a new thing.
The boys and I have been trying to memorize scripture and I find I am consistent to do it as long as I have my cool Memory Cross Scripture cards. One of our current verses is:

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28
I always hope that somehow God will allow the boys to see Scripture in action and to see how God keeps His promises. I know that God's Word doesn't return void. But they are 2 and 4 years old.
So is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me
empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.
Isaiah 55:11

God used our trip to Red Box tonight to show me that He is at work in my children's lives. We passed by the local store that entices children with their massive collection of deluxe swing sets. Mr. Smackdown looks out the Loser Cruiser window and says, "Oh, that's the place where we got our new swing set. I like that place. I want another storm so that we can get a new swing set."

Mr. Smackdown doesn't remember how Mommy and Daddy had to work hard cleaning up the damage. He doesn't remember hearing us call the insurance company countless times. He remembers a new kiddy pool created by our twisted slide. He remembers having a picnic in his bedroom with Nana while Daddy worked. He remembers good times while hammering with Daddy. He remembers God giving us back something good from something bad. Our swing set was restored and in the process we had great times of fellowship together.

All things work for the good of those who love Him. Do you love God? I'm not promising that you will always have good come your way. God doesn't work like a Jeanie in a bottle. But He does love His children. He loves you.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to
prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
Jeremiah 29:11
I must admit, I am so thankful that Mr. Smiley had been born the week before. Though Mr. Smiley came into the world surrounded by candle-light, it was by my choice, not due to a storm.!

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry for the funky layout of this post. I can't get my HTML code to work correctly! Enjoy, though!