Thursday, March 5, 2009

Gardening in a Small Space


Usually by this time, my greenhouse is up and gangly green shoots are causing much delight to my color starved eyes. But the greenhouse is still hiding somewhere in the garage. (By greenhouse, don't think I am talking about a walk-in, climate controlled growing room.) My green house has four shelves and a clear plastic zippered tarp that fits over the wire frame. It sits in front of a window upstairs for several months until our carefully watered and talked to plants make their way to the great outdoors.

Living on the outskirts of the city and being limited by lack of sunlight, leaving plenty of room to play, and the restrictions of a neighborhood required me to be creative in my gardening. I knew that my garden had to be artistic, easy to weed, kid-friendly, and provide instant access without mud shoes. I would like to say that I came up with the solution on my own, but I didn't. Let me direct you to the best gardening resource that I have found for the novice and master gardener alike:

So, step one to begin your gardening season is to purchase this book or check it out from the library. Here is a sneak peak at what you have to look forward to . . .





1 comments:

Christina Johnson said...

brad has garden envy. :)