Thursday, March 12, 2009

I Got Sick and this is What I Learned


My list of ways to go "Organic on the Cheap" includes said title, Don't get Sick. The irony is that we have just spent three miserable weeks being sick. Before our experiment with sickness, I was going to counsel you on the ways to be "healthy." Oh, doesn't that sound self-righteous!


Looking back, I see how haughty my thinking was. As my mother-in-law would say, "What are you? Crazy!?" I have been reminded and clearly see that my life is not always mine to direct and control. In fact, I believe the Bible even says, "Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body" (1 Corinthians 6:19, 20).


Though the past few weeks have been difficult, I don't think that I would erase them from our family history. I have learned some really good lessons from God. I sometimes think that He almost allows sickness for the purpose of getting us to slow down and rest. The crazy thing is that though my actual times of Bible reading or purposeful "quiet times" have almost been erased from my life recently, I have heard the Lord's voice in my ear quite frequently. So what have I learned?


1. It is OK to prop my feet up and watch Curious George and Clifford with my children. It allows for great conversation and cuddling. My kids smiled with delight that I stopped what I was doing and joined them in their misery.


2. It is OK to let your kids watch TV (with some parental advisory, of course).


3. I need to lighten up and nurture more. This means turning butternut squash from our food coop into a VeggieTale Hero that is also sick. Creating letters with their food. Giving them silly things to drink out of. Having random moments of fun. Learning to not be irritated at their complaining, but using it to have silly conversation and create a song. Giving kisses and hugs and pulling them onto my lap. Why isn't this natural for me?


4. Eat to live. Not live to eat. By myself getting sick, I wasn't consumed with my next meal or snack. I used food to get healthy and aide my body in healing. Food isn't to be our comfort. Isaiah 66:13 says, "As one whom his mother comforts, So I [God] will comfort you."


5. Avoid sugar. I have heard it said that the immune system is suppressed for 6 hours after eating sugar. Guess what I had been doing the week before?


6. Use Thieves Essential Oil regularly on my feet. What is Thieves, you ask? Well, that will be for another post. But in a nutshell, by using it daily you boost your immune system.


7. Take probiotics again!


8. Go to bed by 10 PM, at the latest.


9. Exercise!


10. Get rid of extra stuff in my life. What is a must? God, Hubby, kids. Healthy eating and my slightly time intensive cooking are staying. Blogging and Gardening still bring joy. What must go? My business of sewing.


God gave me a gentle wake up call, reminding me that I had misplaced a few priorities and it was time to readjust. Thankfully, I am more than willing to listen, even if it ended in antibiotics!

0 comments: