Thursday, May 19, 2011

The Girl in the Gatehouse: A Review

The Girl in the Gatehouse, by Julie Klassen, is quite possibly the best “vacation read” I have shifted my eyes left to right on in quite some time.

Reminiscent of Charlotte Bronte’s, Jane Eyre, it is no surprise that I thoroughly enjoyed this lovely piece of fiction. 

Who cares that Mother’s Day has passed, give this book to a friend, your mom, your grandma, or yourself because you need a mini-mind-vacation.

Found in Klassen’s book is this ironic quote by Nathaniel Hawthorne, “All women, as authors, are feeble and tiresome.  I wish they were forbidden to write.”  This theme runs throughout the novel.  Main character, Mariah Aubrey is banished from her childhood home due to a very grave sin.  Her father, more concerned about appearance than restoration, throws her out and hides Mariah in an abandoned gatehouse.

In this gatehouse, Mariah creates a new world filled with writing (under a pseudonym, not that I have ever done that . . . ahem), helping others, getting right with her Maker, and truly learning what it means to live and forgive.  

Get it. Find it on Trade Books for Free - PaperBack Swap..  Ask for it.  Check it out from the library.

Thanks to Bethany House for sending me a copy of The Girl in the Gatehouse to review.  I was not paid for this post nor do I have to return the book.

blog comments powered by Disqus