Tuesday, July 5, 2011

A Freezer Staple: Coconut Pancakes

I have never liked pancakes.  Unless they were made in Canada . . . with blueberries . . . and fried in lots of butter.

image

Then, a mysterious thing happened.  Not really all that mysterious.  My MIL gave my husband a cookbook that contained a recipe for Cabin Pancakes.

They were made with whole wheat flour, minimally soaked oats, and buttermilk.

I was happy to discover that pancakes didn’t have to resemble a white sponge that disintegrated into my mouth like cotton candy.  They could be hearty . . . a meal. 

Substantial. 

And when I realized you can actually eat REAL maple syrup . . . well, I was hooked.  Once my taste buds met Grade B maple syrup, I became its biggest fan.

However, due to making some dietary changes . . . I’ve been introduced to perhaps a pancake that rivals the infamous cabin pancake.  And my tummy doesn’t rumble for hours after eating . . . bonus.

 

DSC_0259

 

Thanks to Cara, we now eat Coconut Pancakes.  I think they really should be called Egg Pancakes with a tiny bit of coconut flour.  But Cara’s the boss of her menu, the grain free meal plan, that is. 

I heart them in loads of coconut oil.  Then they are fat and crispy.

 

DSC_0261

 

However, if you like pancakes to resemble the nutrition-less pancakes (in looks only) . . . use minimal oil.

 

DSC_0264

 

Now I must admit . . . I sometimes have some help.  My mom often makes us a stack of coconut pancakes.  It is such a blessing!  So when Nana comes-a-knockin’ with some pancakes, I store them in my freezer . . . an easy place for the kids to grab them from if they want to make their own breakfast.

 

DSC_0096

 

To store pancakes, once cooled place wax paper or parchment paper between each pancake. 

 

DSC_0260

 

I typically place 3 pancakes per person in a gallon zip lock bag . . . so for us . . . at least 12 pancakes per bag for the kids.

 

Coconut Pancakes

Ingredients

  • 8 eggs
  • 1/2 cup coconut flour
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1/2 cup yogurt, apple sauce, or coconut milk
  • coconut oil, butter, or ghee for frying

Directions

  • Mix ingredients and let them sit for five minutes.  I like throwing everything into my Vita Mix.  This way the coconut flour gets thoroughly mixed in, eliminating  those pesky lumps. 

DSC_0258

 

  • Put a glob of fat (you know . . . coconut oil or butter) into your skillet and melt over medium heat.
  • When surface is sufficiently hot, pour approximately a tablespoon of batter for each pancake.  I think my pancakes are actually 1/4 cup of batter.

DSC_0257

  • Allow it to cook until golden brown, 1-2 minutes on each side. (Normally I use stainless steel pans.)
  • Top with yogurt, fruit, coconut flakes, maple syrup, peanut butter . . . or any other yummy!

DSC_0005

 
For more Grain Free ideas, please visit:
 
Sign Up for Grain Free Meal Plans

 

And be sure to check out the Real Food Kitchen Tour! over at Cheeseslave!   

blog comments powered by Disqus