Thursday, July 7, 2011

Summer Reading . . .

Since the kids are in a summer reading program . . . I decided I would join up too.  I’m actually in two.  The library’s and Tyndale’s Summer Reading Program

Both give prizes.  Score!

From Tyndale I have read . . .

Her Mother’s Hope by Francine Rivers . . .

This is the first book in a two part series . . . and I haven’t been ready to start the sequel. 

I “think” I liked Her Mother’s Hope, but at the same time I was really disturbed by main character, Marta.  Marta is a survivor . . . and she expects everyone to be tough as iron . . . like herself.  As a result, she really taints the majority of her relationships with her hard exterior that spreads tetanus to those she “loves.”  Though the book shares adult issues that are fiction in this story . . . I’m not so sure I want to read about present day events that capture the media’s attention in my nighttime vacation reading. 

The jury is still out if I will read Her Daughter’s Dream . . . because it appears that history repeats itself.

 

____________________

 

Journey to Riverbend by Henry McLaughlin . . .

 

This book for sure is written by a man.  Meaning . . . blood and guts . . . detailed battle scenes.  I had to close my eyes at one point.  {Smiles}  Certainly a story of redemption and how the Lord can change our hearts and thus our life’s direction. 

In summary, Michael Archer seeks to save a relationship between a father and son, though the son was deceased.  However, Sam’s task is not an easy one as it involves a rather hard hearted Ben Carstairs.  However, Ben is kidnapped and begins to see the error of his wicked ways . . . but will he realize this too late?

That, my reader, is why you will have to read the book to find out. 

And woven throughout this book is a beautiful lady whose heart has been radically changed and uses the gift of intercession to usher in the Lord’s protection.  (Yes, I know this is fiction – the story, that is . . . not the power of God.)

 

____________________

 

Pieces of Silver by Maureen Lang . . .

This book . . . I liked.  But it’s not on my list to tell you about! 

____________________

From Bethany House Publishers. . .

Another Dawn by Kathryn Cushman . . .

 

If you don’t vaccinate . . . then this book if for  you.  However, it presents an interesting perspective.  Perhaps a scary one.  Character Grace Graham chose not to vaccinate her son due to witnessing first hand a change in her friend’s son’s behavior soon after receiving his MMR. 

A very real occurrence.  

The story . . . good . . . but the issue of immunization stands prominent in my memory banks.  Parents are faced with huge decisions when it comes to the health care of their children.  Grace’s son unknowingly infects a town with a potentially deadly virus that he could have been vaccinated for . . . Grace struggles with the “should have” or “could have” syndrome.

It’s a balance between the odds and the risk . . . but most importantly do your homework when it comes to vaccinations. 

That’s all I’m going to say.  Thumbs up. 

(Thanks for a copy of this book Bethany House!)

 

____________________

An Unlikely Suitor by Nancy Moser . . .

 

I stayed up WAY TOO LATE with this novel.  WAY TOO LATE.  If you are trying to be disciplined with your bed time, do not start reading this book.  I repeat . . . this book will not help you go to bed early. 

But it is a good book. 

I like An Unlikely Suitor because of the quirky rich characters that were well-rounded . . . and easily strode into the movie theater of my mind. 

That’s all I’m going to tell you!  Go to the library or get it for yourself! 

(Thanks for the book Bethany House!)

 

____________________

The Whole Bible Story (everything that happens in the Bible in plain English) by Dr. William H. Marty . . .

If you are going to go to the effort to read this book (some 300+ pages) why not just read the Bible? 

Because the Bible is actually “given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works. (2 Timothy 3:16.17)

I find it alarming that the Word of God is being altered . . . shortened  . . . a Cliff Note version if you will. 

The back cover of this book reads as follows,

 . . . often the story can get lost among the laws, genealogies, prophecies, poetry, and instructions.  Sometimes we need to get back to what happens in the Bible, focusing on the plot and the characters.”

Humph. 

The story can get lost?  The whole beautiful story of humanity is found in every jot and title of Scripture!  This is why the Bible in 90 Days is SUCH a great way to catch the whole of God’s love towards His creation. 

My thoughts . . . read the Bible instead.  It is a MUCH more reliable resource.  To pick and choose what Scripture is important for a generation of people . . . scary.  Kind of cult-like. 

I doubt that was Dr. William Marty’s intention . . . just be careful people if you read this book.

(Thanks Bethany House!)

____________________

 

Deeper into the Word by Keri Wyatt Kent . . .

You could easily treat this book like a devotion.  Pick out a topic and read reflections on 100 words from the New Testament. 

I view this book differently from the previously mentioned book.  Deeper into the Word doesn’t claim to be written because things are lost in the facts and laws . . . this is purely topical.  Topical studies can also be faulty . . . even misleading.  This is due to the fact that you have to look at a verse in its entirety . . . at the surrounding verses and the historical context. 

This is a great tool.  But it doesn’t replace a daily reading of your personal Bible.

(Thanks Bethany House!)

____________________

Love and War, Devotional for Couples by John and Stasi Eldredge . . .

Normally a fan of the Eldredge’s, the Engineer and I were surprised by this devotional.  We weren’t very encouraged.  In fact, it left us depressed. 

But it could be encouraging for others  . . . offer hope and healing. 

We just couldn’t relate.  It’s a devotional for the marriage you always dreamed of . . .

I have a marriage that is more that what I ever dreamed it would be . . . but we have worked hard at that . . . regular dates, dying to self, sacrificing, and LOTS of communicating.  I know that I am blessed . . . and I’m not wanting to sound like a braggart.  A lot of you may have done what I listed . . . and it doesn’t seem like enough . . .

IF . . . IF  . . . you ARE in a rough spot . . . then I would recommend this book, or even better . . . attend a Family Life Marriage Conference. 

(Thanks Waterbrook Press!)

blog comments powered by Disqus