Thursday, June 9, 2011

Garlic Hummus

I never liked humus until I met homemade hummus.

DSC_0158

 

I can’t believe I have never shared this recipe with you.  Hummus.  Slather it on any veggie, pita bread, or piece of lunch meat.  Great on chips or given to toddlers by the spoonful.   

 DSC_0151

 

And because I already had some chickpeas soaked and sprouted, I literally whipped this up for dinner the other night. 

 

DSC_0146

I suppose you could use a can of chick peas . . . but I like knowing that my food is partially digested.  Call me crazy . . . or granola.

Garlic Hummus

DSC_0148

Ingredients

  • 2 cups chickpeas, cooked**
  • 3 cloves garlic, mashed (or don’t bother if you are blending in a VitaMix)
  • 1/4 cup tahini
  • 1 tablespoon flax or olive oil
  • 1/2 cup lemon juice
  • 1 tsp Celtic sea salt
  • pinch of cayenne pepper

Directions

DSC_0153

Dump everything into a food processor.  Blend. 

Easy.  Right?

However, this doesn’t mean that it will taste good.  First . . . make sure you get the texture right.  Add some water or lemon juice, if necessary to obtain a smooth (almost pudding-like) texture.  Creamy but not hard like unstirred refrigerated natural peanut butter.  Also, you made need to add a bit more salt.

 

DSC_0154

** Don’t know how to make homemade chickpeas?  Easy-peasy!

Ingredients

  • 1 cup dried chickpeas
  • filtered water
  • 2 tablespoons whey or lemon juice
  • 1 tsp sea salt

Directions

Cover chickpeas with warm water in a glass bowl or mason jar.  Stir in whey or lemon juice and allow to rest for about 24 hours.  Drain.  Peal off any skins, if you have time.  (I never do.  I have no idea what nutritional crime I am committing by leaving the skins on . . . but a mom only has so much time.)  Transfer to a crock pot.  Turn the crock pot on high and rescue your chickpeas after 6 hours or when they are soft.  Drain.

P.S.  I so desperately need to share with you how I am making yogurt these days.  So different from my old way . . . oh – so- different.  (Not to mention, my old yogurt post is rather ghetto.)

blog comments powered by Disqus