Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Revisiting Quiet Times

I just got done coloring in my Bible, and I thought of you all. 

How are your quiet times?  What is God teaching you?  What are your struggles?  Joys?  Must haves?

I know how 10 wonderful women spend their time.  They have shared their about their fellowship with the Lord.  They wrote about some brutally honest issues and challenges that they are dealing with. 

I started to think about it . . . I know that more of you spend time reading your Bible.  Won’t  you share?  Won’t you encourage others by being real with us?

As I pondered the discipline of Quiet Times . . . and read from Matthew 6, I realized why some might be hesitant to share.  Matthew 6:1 says, “Be aware of practicing your righteousness before men to be noticed by them; otherwise you have no reward with your Father who is in heaven.”

Reading this, I too would proceed with caution.  Yikes. 

We are even instructed in verse 6, to go “into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and  your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.”

Reading this I felt compelled to clarify.  I’m not asking you to share what you are praying for, how long you spend in the Word, what you have given, or how much your Bible costs, etc. 

I’m asking how you do it. 

What do you use or need to get quiet before the Lord.  We live in such a noisy and busy society . . . how do you keep that out or use it to benefit your times with Jesus?

What would you recommend to someone who just met Jesus for the first time?

Are you struggling to sit before the Lord?  Why?  How are you dealing with this?  How does it affect other areas of your life?

I realize I might be asking a lot of you.  I’m often a little open . . . raw . . . brutally honest. 

Not everyone else is comfortable with that.

I understand.

But I’m asking you to step out of your comfort zone. 

Leave a comment here on the original blog post or on Facebook in a note (and tag Granola Mom 4 God) or share on your blog (directions here). 

blog comments powered by Disqus