Thursday, January 12, 2012

Home Improvement Challenge

With the Engineer pursing his doctorate, I have made it my passion to pursue a doctorate in DIY projects.  Normally, I feign the damsel in distress and leave all “fix-it” jobs to my personal handy-man.

But now it is my turn to bless him.

Today, during school, I figured out how to install a water filter AND change the direction of a socket wrench

DSC_0101

I am pretty proud of myself and I have a battle wound to prove what I accomplished.  It was properly cared for by my helper, which is rather fitting, seeing as though Ezra’s name means “help.”

DSC_0091

Previously, we had been using a PUR counter water system in the school room.

DSC_0094

However, I wasn’t pleased with the quality of our filtered water, as I am partial to Aquasana.

 DSC_0093

When we replaced the kitchen faucet, we installed an under-the-counter filter.  That left us with a spare Aquasana counter top  filter. 

It sat for some time.  What could we do with this thing?

Perfect for the school room . . . and it would eliminate one less interruption to the school day.  No more errands up to the kitchen to refill sippy cups!

Fresh, clean, filtered water only feet away!

I ran into one snafu . . .

The opposing filters (un)screwed in opposition directions

DSC_0092

OK. 

There was another problem.  I couldn’t get the socket wrench to go counter-clockwise.  Unbeknownst to me, there is a trick.

See the Y?

DSC_0098

Push down and turn.

DSC_0099

And behold it is as if you have changed the hands of time, and you will find your socket wrench now turns clockwise.

Sigh.

It was such a proud moment. 

DSC_0097

Running water.

Linking up with the Homemakers Challenge Accomplished!  Come on over to see what others have accomplished.

Projects left?

  • Move some memory around in the external hard drive and install Carbonite Mirror Memory.
  • Figure out why the printer STILL won’t print in full color.  I’m tired of everything being pink and blue.
  • Finish installing Rosetta Stone . . . for some reason I can’t input students.
  • Hang a towel rod, towel ring, and toilet paper holder up in the guest bathroom and maybe install a faucet?  (I doubt the Engineer will go for this Granola Girl DIY project.)

Projects accomplished?

  • Fixed the CD/DVD Rom that has been broken for quite some time.
  • Installed water filter.
  • Made Fermented Lemons.
  • Kept up with laundry.

drinking_product_300x250
blog comments powered by Disqus