Wednesday, January 4, 2012

A River. A Rock. And A Bible Verse.

I have embarked on a journey to read through the Bible in the King James Version.

Don’t groan.

I’m actually loving it.  I never realized how in the silence of my head, God’s Word could be a dramatic reading of yours truly.  In my cranium, I feel like . . . an actress in a amazing academy winning drama.

With an Old and New Testament Dictionary in hand, I enjoyed my first saunter through the NKJ Scriptures this week.  In fact, I would go so far as to say I  viewed God’s Word with a fresh perspective

As a student.

Anticipating. 

Curious. 

Thirsty for more.

It is not a coincidence that I began my journey into the King James Version of Scriptures the eve of this post.

I always thought that the King James Version of the Bible was rather . . . dated.  Antiquated.  Difficult.  Hard to understand.

And yet – tonight I became enraptured by its poetry. 

This struck me. 

The blinders were taken off of my eyes, and the Holy Spirit gave me understanding to search the Scriptures . . . regardless of the translation.  The simple fact was that I was reading God’s Word.

It is my heart for the Vidunda people to have the Bible translated into their own language.

DSC_0015

I am using a vastly different reading plan than in previous years. 

  • Sunday – Epistles
  • Monday – the Law
  • Tuesday – History
  • Wednesday – Psalms/Proverbs
  • Thursday – Poetry
  • Friday – Prophecy
  • Saturday – Gospels

Having JUST discovered my plan today (with the help of a Google search) I attacked my reading while the Engineer registered for his upcoming class.

DSC_0085

I was actual reading to kill some time.  Avoid thinking about what need to be done . . . written. 

But like the lure of a babbling brook, the Words enveloped me, surrounding my heart like a luxurious bubble bath.

First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that your faith is spoken of throughout the whole world.  Romans 1:8

Sweet Jesus, what if . . . what if one day we hear of these people . . . of their faith . . . in some small-town America?

May it be so. 

Oh Vidunda people, without ceasing I make mention of you always in my prayers.  (Romans 1:9b)  For I long to see you, that I may impart unto you some spiritual gift, to the end ye may be established.  (Romans 1:11)  Though I don’t have to see you to give you a gift, may those working on my behalf impart to you the Words of Life.

IMG_2594

Yet these are a people who sit near massive mountains.  Beauty that boasts of a creator because that which may be known of God is manifest (plain, apparent) in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.  For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse.

But even though my Vidunda people are without excuse . . . even though God  caresses them with His majestic beauty daily . . . I can’t imagine what it will be like to pair that God given intuition . . . or experience . . . and put Words to it. 

The Word.  A Book that explains the things the Vidunda people see . . . hear . . . experience. 

DSC_0006

So that they can then be like Joshua.  (Tuesday’s reading)  Bold.  Standing firm.  Courageous.

This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate (ponder) therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein; for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success (to be an expert). Joshua 1:8

In the book of Joshua, I was allowed to see the initial preparations for the Israelites re-entry into the Promised Land.  They were encouraged to gird themselves with the Good Book.  By doing so . . . then they would have good success. 

Lord, as the Vidunda people acquire more Bible verses . . . allow them to hunger and thirst for your righteousness.    Father, that this people may have good success. 

When the Israelites were about to enter the land, Joshua said, “Sanctify yourselves; for to morrow the Lord will do wonders among you.”

Wonders. 

As I write it is Tuesday.  This post is scheduled for tomorrow – January 4th.  One Verse Bloggers Launch day.

Tomorrow the Lord will do wonders among you.

A promise.

Wednesday the Lord will do wonders among you.

Will you be a part of the wonders?

Today? 

Even tomorrow. 

What would happen if we partnered together to accelerate the translation of the Gospel to the Vidunda people group?  What if all of the verses could be fully funded by tomorrow?

Really . . . today. 

East Africa Map

I’m not asking you to donate $1000.  I’m asking that each family represented in my readership pray about monthly sponsoring the Vidunda Bible translation project.

DSC_0016

And the priest that bare the ark of the covenant of the Lord stood firm on dry ground in the midst of Jordan, and all the Israelites passed over on dry ground, until all the people were passed clean over Jordan.  (Joshua 3:17)

Each of us, in Christ, is part of a royal priesthood.  (1 Peter 2:9)

I want to be a part of the priesthood that stands firm . . . that carries the weight . . . that supports the workers  . . . so that the Vidunda people may pass clean over the spiritual Jordan.

After the Israelites passed, a man from each of the 12 tribes was to pick up a stone

that when your children ask their fathers in time to come, saying What mean ye by these stones?

Then ye shall answer them, That the waters of the Jordan were cut off before the ark of the covenant of the Lord; when it passed over Jordan, the waters of Jordan were cut off; and these stones shall be for a memorial unto the children of Israel for ever. (Joshua 5:6b-7)

People – GOD stopped the Jordan river from flowing!

But as time passed, the vastness of this feat would fade in those Jewish eyes.  The magnitude of this walk across a dry riverbed would become the stuff of legends – not something that could happen in your lifetime.

027

(Ignore the soup, focus on the rocks.  Many come from river or creek beds.)

But a stone.  Let this serve as a reminder. The children would see it everyday.  God provided a way.  He offered salvation.  He alone performed miracles.  Every time they saw this stone, they knew . . . knew that it came from the very riverbed that brought them to the land they now called home. 

If the child didn’t believe their father why all they had to do was go find the other 11 rocks.  This wasn’t a made up story.  A legend.

What if today . . . . we created an event of tall tale proportions.  Will you skip a meal out this month?  Forgo Starbucks? 

Will you sponsor a verse for the Vidunda people?

Without further ado, let me offer you a memorial.  Join me each month to share the verse that you received in the mail.  The verse that your $26 translated. 

The 4th of every month, should the Lord tarry, I will provide a little blog post about our verse . . . and host some space for you to share about your verse.

OneVerse Blogger

I told you how I’m not OK with that.  And I showed you how you could join me in not being OK with that (yet another blog post I wrote).

Will  you act on it?

DSC_0001

Today . . . a little envelope came in the mail.

I discovered it despite the mailbox handle lying in the snow on the street.

My verse. 

DSC_0002

To find out what other One Verse Bloggers are saying, join us over at The Seed Company.

That all the people of the earth might know the hand of the Lord, that is might; that ye might fear the Lord your God for ever. (Joshua 4:24)

Otherwise, link up with me this month by leaving a comment with your Scripture Verse that was translated or write a blog post!

P.S. There is a little gift when you partner with the Seed Company for the Vidunda people group . . . .

 

blog comments powered by Disqus