Tuesday, January 26, 2010

An Overabundance of Apples ~ Crock Pot Applesauce

If you have a lot of apples, or you would like your child to know that applesauce doesn’t have to come in a jar or a small plastic cup with a peel away lid, make applesauce at home.

It’s easy.

Now, I admit . . . it might be easier for me than you. 

My grandma gave me an apple peeler/corer/slicer from Pampered Chef.  If you don’t have this handy contraption, simply peel your apple with a pairing knife or better yet—a potato peeler. 

plasma car halloween 009 

I have tried leaving the skin of the apple on . . . but every single time I leave the peel on my kids do not like the applesauce.  I am not sure how they know . . . but I am pretty certain that applesauce manufacturers must use kids to taste-test each batch to achieve perfection.

Don’t forget to save the skin for your compost pile!

plasma car halloween 012

Also, take out the core of the apple.  If you are doing this with your child, now would be a great time to read the book:

image

Slice your apple into chunks.  The apple doesn’t have to be spiral cut like I have shown you.  

 plasma car halloween 014

plasma car halloween 015

I fill my Crockpot to the brim!  Place the lid on top and let it cook on high for most of the day, or until the apples are soft and mushy. 

Typically, I then pulverize the apples in my VitaMix, but you can also use an immersion blender.

plasma car halloween 013

I personally don’t think that the applesauce needs any sugar added.  God made the fruit sweet enough.  Research your apples and choose a juicy, sweet apple if you are used to sugared applesauce.  Add cinnamon if you like.

Remember, applesauce works as a great substitute for sugar in recipes!!

Enjoy!

Technorati Tags: ,
blog comments powered by Disqus