Sunday, August 30, 2009

Celebrating Life

I went to bed last night with the thought that we had the makings of an enjoyable weekend.

We had served as a family at the Festival of Life our church co-sponsored. I was blessed to be in ministry with not only my husband, but all three of our boys, one of which spent his time participating from my back bringing smiles to whoever looked at him. After setting up games for school aged children, our family worked together washing and chopping tomatoes and onions for the food that would later feed festival attenders.

It was neat to be a part of something larger.

It was neat to prepare for a party that wasn't just to celebrate ourselves.

Though we left before the festivities got underway, the Festival of Life provided a great teaching moment for our boys. There is joy in serving. There is fun in fellowship. We scurried around, much like we do for the boys' birthday parties, but we scurried with intentional purpose so that we could provide an opportunity for people in our community to feel loved, fed, valued, and blessed.

I hadn't realized how long it had been since I had participated in ministry outside of my home. And I had never served with my little boys.

It reminds me of the days when we hung out with the youth from our hometown, stepped out of our comfort zone by having church in a bar when we lived in Colorado, and unusual days of ministry in India. What a blessing!

Further blessing was provided by Sunsprinkles Rose journeying home with us for some shuteye. As usual, she greatly amused me with her low voice and signature "uh-huh" throaty replies that tickled my tummy.

And the grand finale of the day was enjoying an evening celebrating birthdays and listening to The Glen Miller Band at Conner Prairie's outdoor amphitheater.

You would have never guessed that it is still August by how INSANELY cold I was. I am proud to say that my non-habit husband stood in a 45 minute line just to get me a warm beverage. In honor of him--and I am sure he will appreciate me mentioning him--I am displaying his creative form of warmth, the camping chair bag on his head. Don't laugh! It provides 3 feet of warmth to your head!

Unfortunately, we aren’t behaving an a very granola way this morning. And that is really why I am writing today. Umm . . . not sure what is wrong but it involves bad headaches for yours truly and puking and tiredness for said Granola Mom and her wonderful spouse, Hottie Hubby. Thankfully I cannot infect you with the mysterious illness that crept into our house without warning this morning, and we cannot conduct an experiment on your immune system.

However, though we have been laid up, releasing all of our bodily contents, I am here to say that I still have joy. Even through all of this sickness, I am happy. Because even in our sickness there have been moments of joy and times of thankfulness.

I got the opportunity to sleep in until 10:30 AM. That hasn't happened since pre-kids.

I've had two cups of chai.

We have sat around and rested ALL day long.

I took a nap with Mr. Me-Too--a rarity and luxury for me to have him to sit still long enough to snuggle and fall asleep.

And Mr. Smackdown wanted to bless us by doing the dishes in order to help us feel better.

I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength.
(Philippians 4:11-13)

0 comments: