Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Rick and Bubba's Guide to the Almost Nearly Perfect Marriage

I admit that I was skeptical that I would enjoy this book. Even though we are told to not judge a book by its cover, I judged the book by its cover. Sorry, Rick and Bubba. It's your fault! (Can you tell that I read your book?)

And to be honest, I didn't enjoy the book until the VERY last few chapters. Rick and Bubba's Guide to the Almost Nearly Perfect Marriage published by Thomas Nelson and written by Rick Burgess and Bill "Bubba" Bussey, is a marriage book that does not resemble my marriage except for their suggestions in the dating department and their helpful exhortation to have a marriage built upon a biblical foundation. I could have skipped the majority of the book and been happy to read the nearly last two chapters, "The Unthinkable" and "After Fifty Years of Marriage."

The cover appeals to women, but I really think the book is more appropriate for a man. To be honest, I disagreed with many of their thoughts and experiences that occur between a husband and wife in daily life. That doesn't mean that their experience is any less true, I just couldn't relate and don't have friends with such relationships. But having read the chapters I previously mentioned, I think that Rick and Bubba were reeling their reader in like a true fisherman. You get hooked by their stories, and then they give you solid fish to chew on for a good marriage.

Read this book if you would like to be entertained by marriage stories and the often humorous battle between the sexes. Don't expect it to change your life or give you a strategy to improve a crumbling marriage. At the very least, tell your library purchase it for general circulation.

And if you are wondering . . . no, I didn't buy this book. I'm thankful to be reviewing it for the Thomas Nelson Publishing Book Review Blogger program.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I agree... from that title I would never pick it up either. That's cool you get free books to review!!!!! Will they be any kind of book or just certain categories/types?

Unknown said...

Each time I post a review, I can choose from about 5 different books. We are doing a kids book next. However, my other choices were LOve and Respect and another book by Shelia Walsh.

Cascia Talbert said...

That's too bad it isn't a very good book. From the looks of it, it looks promising.