Friday, December 18, 2009

Mathletics -- A Review

Instant success.





The boys loved Mathletics




Why?

The got to create their own characters.




And when you finish the game or section . . . there is a lot of hoopla.  As I recall, the hoopla sounds like the Jetson's car.  Am I dating myself?


But there is one slight problem.



It helps if you can read.  Or if mom will stop fermenting or sprouting or doing some kitchen endeavor and simply read the prompts to you. 

That aside . . . it is great. 

Have I told you what Mathletics is yet?  No, I haven't.  Oh dear me.
Mathletics is a web-based learning program that integrates home and school learning via the internet; it is one of the world’s most used educational websites. As an online learning resource it is the next generation in learning, helping students enjoy maths and achieve outstanding results.
Mathletics is a subscription and each annual subscription is for one child, as it's an individualized learning path for each child, keeping track their results and progress as they work their way through their individual grade curriculum. Each child also earns points as they are individually rewarded as they achieve mastery of concepts. 
An individual subscription to Mathletics is $59.00 per child per year. If you know the Human Calculator's Favorite number, answer is '9', you can purchase a single child subscription for $49.95 per child per year. To purchase go to www.mathletics.com and put in the answer '9' then click submit to receive this special price.
In a nutshell, it was easy for me to hand over my computer to Mr. Smackdown (and even Mr. Me-Too) to use Mathletics.  Some of the activities they could do on their own, but others they needed constant help. And it wasn't the Granola Boy's  fault . . . we just haven't progressed that far yet in phonics. 

Next year . . . once we have more practice with sounding letters out I would certainly think of purchasing a subscription to practice our math skills.  It would be nice to be able to let Mr. Smackdown play independently while I worked with his brothers.  In the end, I wrap up my review by saying that Mathletics is an easy program for the kids to figure out . . . is  fun . . . is engaging . . . and even somewhat personal! 

Click on the Homeschool Crew banner to read other reviews on this product


 
As a member of the Homeschool Crew, I was given access to this product for 45 days to review.  I was not paid for this post. All opinions expressed in this post are delightfully mine.

0 comments: