Friday, December 18, 2009

Tektoma -- A Review

I know that many of you may think that I appear very computer literate.

But I'm not.

I may be a decent playwright at best (I can't be an actor because you aren't watching me right now--praise the Lord). I can talk a good lingo and nod my head. I have a few html tricks up my sleeve . . . many of which I learned from being a part of The Old Schoolhouse Homeschool Crew.  But when it comes down to it, I learned it all from my husband or Google answered my question.

But when it came to understanding the product we were given a 3-month free subscription to . . . I must admit that I was a little stumped at first.  I didn't understand what exactly Tektoma did . . .

TektomaHeader1109.jpg

What is Tektoma
Tektoma is dedicated to providing children with high quality tutorials to teach game programming within a secure, monitored website. It is a perfect avenue for homeschooled children to learn advanced computer skills.  
What will you gain by using Tektoma?
  • Engaging video tutorials for ages 7-17 (I watched one!)
  • Tutorials of varying skill levels and topics (I stuck with the basics.)
  • Learn at your own pace in the comfort of your home
  • Natural progression helps develop technical skills
  • Customize your learning experience
  • Low monthly membership fee gives access to all our resources ($14.95/month or $140/year)
  • New curriculums available monthly
  • If you have questions while creating, members have access to a Member Forum, Tektoma blog, or they can just send an email.  
What do I think?

I didn't grow up playing computer games . . . OK . . . I take that back.  I played Paratrooper on the very first computer my dad brought home that was actually considered a portable computer! 

Creating my own computer game doesn't hold a whole lot of interest to me . . . but people often say that to me about Twitter, or blogging, or sewing, or gardening.  They don't see the fascination.  I think these must be the people who play golf.  Just kidding.  Although, I don't understand what is so exciting about golf or baseball.  Give me football any day, even though I have yet to understand the game . . . sad for a woman whose husband played football well into college. 

Sigh. 

I digress.

BUT . . . I know that gamming is a lot of fun for people.  So . . . this site is a fabulous resource for parents who have children that want to learn HOW to write a computer program and follow it through to completion.  It is a safe site -- all comments are moderate by Tektoma staff.

And the best part?  You can try Tektoma out for free for $14 days!  Go for it you computer programmers who created fun things for me like Blogger, Twitter, Picasa, Goggle, and Amazon!

Here is what you will need:
  • Currently, the tutorials are for computers running Windows XP or Vista only. Macintosh versions coming in the future.
  • Broadband internet connection
  • Any browser should work, but make sure it is a current version

      Click on the Homeschool Crew banner to read other reviews on this product.




    As a member of the Homeschool Crew, I was given access to this product to review.  I was not paid for this post. All opinions expressed in this post are delightfully mine. I enjoyed learning something new from this vendor.

    0 comments: