Monday, December 21, 2009

Snacking On God’s Word for Little Ones

There was a time when it was EASY to spend time with the Lord.

In fact, there was a time when I remember having Quiet Times (definition: a time devoted to reading your Bible, doing a Bible study, praying, or journaling to the Lord -- kind of like a date with God) that lasted 1 1/2 hours . .  . and I didn’t have a hard time staying awake.
  • I was doing pretty good when Baby #1 came.  As Mr. Smackdown took his morning nap around 9 or 10 AM, that is when Mussie and I snuggled on the couch with my Bible.  
  • After Baby #2 came, my Quiet Time gravitated towards 2 PM during the boys’ afternoon naps. 
  • Now that Baby #3 has been with us for 20+ months, my Quiet Time occurs at any time I can squeeze it in.  (Lately, I have been getting up around 5:30 AM, though.)
For awhile, I had a tiny Bible that I could easily hold with one hand while I nursed, and an equally small journal that housed a flat pen for any philosophical thoughts that might occur while reading and feeding my small bundle.

However, once Mr. Smiley gave up his morning nap . . . and became interested in grabbing objects while nursing . . . spending time with Jesus became an acrobatic act juggling working out, homeschooling, sewing, blogging, loving on my kids, cooking wholesome meals, dating the Hottie Hubby . . . .

One thing that has always remained, though, is reading God’s Word to my children.  No matter what, this has always occurred, and at times has sufficed for my snacking in God’s Word.  I firmly believe that any amount of God’s Word that we can ingest throughout the day is beneficial.  God says about His Word,
so is My word that goes out from My mouth:
       It will not return to Me empty,
       but will accomplish what I desire
       and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.

Isaiah 55:11
I distinctly remember my pastor’s wife telling stories of having Bibles placed all throughout her house so that if there didn’t seem to be time to have a respite in the Word, she could grab a nugget of truth as she passed through a room.  Additionally, she read a chapter a day from the Bible to her babies while they played.

december 21 055

These were wise words.  I don’t have Bibles open throughout my house, but I do read to my children each day . . . and I would encourage you to.

Most every  morning, after breakfast and the dishes are loaded into the dishwasher, the boys grab their cups of milk and I my chai and we traipse upstairs.  They acquire some toys and play quietly while I read a chapter to them from the Bible.  Currently, we are working our way through the Book of Job.  When I am finished reading, I turn on their AWANA CD or some other gospel-like CD to train them in the importance of having a time of rest and reflection each day. 
december 21 054

For nap time we are reading Tyndale House Publisher’s The One Year Devotions for Preschoolers 2 by Carla Barnhill . . . and loving it.

I am really enjoying this little devotional.  I chose to review this cute book because I wanted to see if it would be something that I could pass on to you. 
december 21 052

Sometimes knowing where to begin with your children in the ways of God can be overwhelming.  Many times I have had people question me as to why I read an adult Bible to the boys . . . let me remind you why:
so is my word that goes out from my mouth:
       It will not return to me empty,
       but will accomplish what I desire
       and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.

Isaiah 55:11
    december 21 053

Perhaps the thought of reading an entire chapter in Leviticus is overwhelming and you just KNOW that there is no way little Jimmy is going to sit still for 20 minutes . . .

It is for this very reason that I wanted to share with you this cute devotional book.  The stories or “devos” are short, Biblical, and to the point.  My boys have loved the precious pictures and I have been AMAZED at the discussion some of the “devos” have produced.  I have included pictures of my two favorite nap time readings thus far.

So . . . as you are doing your last minute Christmas shopping, I want you to consider about making a New Year’s Resolution – reading the Bible to your children.  Pick up this book or a new Bible while you are out!  (In fact, you can even order a free Bible from certain websites – not that I would know.)

Carve out a time each day to teach your child truth – God never changes.

His Word, the Bible, never changes.

The Bible is an amazing book that helps you parent, and provides courage to children scared of the dark or monsters in the closet.  It teaches them how unique and special they are.

But if you really just don’t know how to explain God to your children, are nervous, feel silly, I highly recommend The One Year Devotional for Preschoolers 2.  Begin January 1st . . . read a page a day. 
You will be blessed.  You will have meaningful conversations.

   -----------------------------------------------------

Tyndale House Publishers has graciously provided me with this  complimentary copy of The One Year Devotional for Preschoolers 2.  And if they hadn’t of sent me a copy for free, I honestly would have bought it to incorporate into our naptime routine.  Seriously.

   -----------------------------------------------------

OK . . . here is a totally unplanned, non-posed, precious demonstration of how much this devotional book is enjoyed in our house.  While visiting with my friend Tina this morning, Mr. Me-Too had nestled into the couch, pretending to lick a wooden lollipop, while reading his “devo.”

Tina christmas 034

3 comments:

Sarah said...

super post! full of such wisdom! we might jsut have to get that devo for 2010! we read the Bible aloud this am... Ps 46

Prasti said...

what a cool book! my daughter loves reading from her bible, though we also read from the "grown up" bible too. i think it's important for kids to be familiar with the adult translation as well. we usually read a short chunk (since attention span is limited) and then re-explain & discuss the meaning of that particlar scripture.

Christy Wong said...

Thanks so much for this WONDERFUL review! I'm so glad you're enjoying the book! However, would you mind making one little correction? In your review, you say the book is from Thomas Nelson, but it's from Tyndale House Publishers (as you mention in your disclosure at the end).

Thank you, and have a Merry Christmas!

Christy Wong
Tyndale House Publishers