Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Curried Butternut Squash Soup

Never much appreciated butternut squash . . . until last week. 

I think I might include this item in my gardening plans this year.

027

I enjoyed (yet another) Nourished Kitchen concoction so much, it replaced my afternoon latte from my nifty espresso machine (which currently features a rebate).

Um. . . . that should speak volumes to you about said Curried Butternut Squash soup from The Nourished Kitchen.  (Seriously, you really should consider subscribing to Jenny’s dinner menu plans (yes, I am an affiliate) . . . rich . . . yummy . . . . delicious . . . and easy (in a whole foods kind of way).

And this soup that I’m about to give you the recipe for (with Jenny’s permission)  . . . is great for the dairy-free family.

Ingredients

• 1/4 cup coconut oil
• 2 shallots, peeled and diced
• 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
• 1 1-inch knob ginger, peeled and grated
• 1 large butternut squash, peeled, seeded and chopped
• 1 tsp curry powder
• 2 cups chicken stock (I’ll give you my recipe soon!)
• 2 cups coconut milk

Directions

  1. Melt coconut oil in a heavy-bottomed stock pot over a moderate flame, then toss in shallots, garlic and ginger, frying until fragrant and translucent.
  2. Stir in chopped squash and fry until fragrant, about three or four minutes.
  3. Stir in curry powder, chicken stock and coconut milk.
  4. Continue cooking for thirty minutes or until the squash is soft, then process in a Vitamix or with a food mill until smooth and uniform.

You won’t regret making this soup.  You might even cry when it is gone.  I almost did. 

blog comments powered by Disqus