Thursday, February 17, 2011

Must Have Refrigerator Item: Apricot Butter

There is something intensely gratifying about fermenting food

It’s a habit for me.  A healthy addiction, you might say. 

One day . . . I went a little wild.  I wanted to grow as many organisms as I could.  And I did.

046

See that Mason Jar with the brown stuff in it?  It’s good.  It’s good for you.  And by fermenting this certain little brown dried fruit you . . . . um . . .  don’t get the “toots.” (Not that I ever “toot.”)

Was that TMI?

Ready for this fermented must-have?

Probiotic Apricot Butter

(compliments of the Nourished Kitchen)

Ingredients

  • 2 cups dried unsulphured apricots
  • 1/2 tsp unrefined sea salt
  • 3 tbsps fresh whey, divided
  • 1/4 cup raw honey
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp powdered ginger

Directions

  • Cover apricots in hot water and jealously watch them soak in that luxurious hot bath (can you tell what I would like to do with a good book?)

038

  • Drain and process in a Vitamix or other food processor with sea salt and two tablespoons fresh whey until smooth.

041

  • I know . . . it looks concerning.  But trust me – it’s good for your gut!  Kids will want to dive into these formerly bathing beauties!

043

  • Transfer creamy apricots into the confining Mason Jar and cover with remaining whey.

044

  • Allow said contents to nap for two days (lucky) covered, while you busily live life around resting apricots. 

045

  • When it’s time to wake the apricots up, slide them back into the Vitamix along with honey, cinnamon, and ginger.

042

  • Process until smooth.  Spoon into a clean Mason Jar and place this tasty concoction in your fridge.  It will be good for 6-8 weeks.

036

Recently, we finished our probiotic apricot butter by lathering it on some sprouted Holy Homemade Crackers

034

Divine.  Seriously.  God knew what He was doing when He gave someone the inspiration to start fermenting foods.  And I’m thankful how simple recipes like this are improving my resistance to infection (slowly but surely). 

If you have been enjoying my fermenting recipes . . . you can thank Jenny over at the Nourished Kitchen.  If you really want to start fermenting foods in your kitchen, then I highly recommend enrolling in the Get Cultured e-course.  Use the code sourpickles to receive $20 off!  Classes start March 4th.

blog comments powered by Disqus