Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Dragon and the Turtle Go On Safari: A Review

image

The Dragon and the Turtle Go On Safari ,by Donita K. Paul and Evangeline A. Denmark, is a child’s story that should be read with a British accent.  Silly names accompany this tale about a dragon, named Padraig, and a turtle, named Roger.  They are camping at the base of Mount Sillymanborrow.  Throughout the night they are frightened by various animal noises and desire to return home. 

I have an imagination.  However, I struggled to read this book enthusiastically to my children as I found the dialogue forced and unrealistic for even a child’s tale.  As I understand it, this is a story parents can use to teach their children about trusting God when they are scared.  However, this gigantic leap is only made on the very last page which features Bible verse, Deuteronomy 31:6,

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid. . . . God goes with you; he will never leave you.

Yet not once throughout the book do we see Padraig or Roger invite God to help them with their apprehension.  They rely on each other (which has some merit) and eventually return to their house as dawn breaks, having thus achieved their goal of braving night camping.  They feel successful.

This reader, however, finds their accomplishment meaningless.

Do my kids like the book?  Yes. 

But I would wager that if they were to backpack up into the Colorado Rockies with their mom and dad and hear coyote howls ricocheting the surrounding rock wall, they too might find Padraig and Roger spineless.

If you would like to win this book, head on over to my bloggy friend’s giveaway at The Munchkin Farm!  She has a different opinion of the book – so don’t just take my word for it! 

I am sure that you can tell I gave my honest opinion that wasn’t paid.  Please remember it is rare that I give a thumbs down on a product I review.  I don’t opt to review something that I feel I won’t like.  The Dragon and the Turtle Go on Safari was provided to me for free from Waterbrook Multnomah in partnership with MamaBzz.  It can be purchased for $8.63 here.

blog comments powered by Disqus