Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Kombucha Babies

I make my kombucha differently than I used to.  I forgot to tell you.  The mother is much happier and healthier these days.  So are her babies. 

DSC_0030

So  . . . if you used to make it like this and it works for you . . . great. 

But this is how I do it now. 

DSC_0028

(sweetened tea {left} ready to be fermented beside fresh kombucha{right})

Ingredients

  • 3 tsp organic loose black tea 
  • 1 tsp organic loose green tea
  • 1 – 1 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
  • filtered water (I use 3 quarts)
  • Kombucha SCOBY (I recommend using Cultures for Health)
  • 1/2 cup kombucha from previous batch (you can also use vinegar)
  • clean round bowl or “candy jar,” preferably (in my opinion) with a lid or mason jar
  • towel and tape if you don’t have a lid (see original instructions) or paper coffee filter

Directions

I have changed from being adamant about using white sugar and Lipton tea . . . despite the directions I received with my last SCOBY. 

I am better educated.

Plus . . . I like using organic ingredients.  I’m Granola Mom after all.  But seriously.  SCOBY’s absorb whatever they come in contact with . . . which is why you don’t want them to contact metal or linger in plastic. 

Do use sugar, not honey or other sugar substitute.  You want to maintain a proper PH and deter unwanted organisms from growing in your culture. 

  • Heat your water to boiling. 
  • Add sugar and heat until it has dissolved.
  • Once boiling has resumed, stir in loose tea.
  • Turn stove off and allow tea to steep approximately 10 minutes or until cool.
  • Strain tea leaves (don’t forget to compost!)
  • Transfer sweet tea to glass jar and add SCOBY and 1/2 cup of previous kombucha (or vinegar substitute).  
  • Place your well fed SCOBY in a dark, safe place . . . preferable a quiet spot away from your compost container and fruit flies for 5-10 days, depending on your taste buds.  The warmer the environment the faster the fermentation. The longer you allow it to brew, the more tart it will become. 
  • Bottle, chill and enjoy!

Each time you make kombucha, you will always grow a baby.  You can give this baby to a friend or place it in your compost pile. 

Or make a sling shot out of it . . . it works great as a substitute leather.  Just saying.

DSC_0079

blog comments powered by Disqus