Monday, February 13, 2012

Flax Seed Crackers

I am not quite ready to share with you what I have been working on at home. But I will tell you that this little thing that I am engaging in . . . has me eating flax seed crackers.

DSC_0035

This mucilaginous seed is rather expensive in the cracker form and comes in a small package.  I took an aversion to purchasing them.  I decided to figure out how to make this rich brown cracker.

DSC_0015-1

Are you wondering what mucilaginous means?  This large word basically means sticky.  When the hull of this seed encounters water, it absorbs the water and creates a gel that is rather . . . gross.  I don’t much care for the smell either.

Alas, it is a healthy food.  So eat it I am. 

It is an excellent source of fiber, which does led me to warn you to watch your intake of this cracker . . . too much can cause you to spend a lot of time on the commode.  Ahem. 

In moderation, the flax seed is an excellent source of lignans (anti-oxidants), micro-nutrients, and omega-3’s.  It has the potential to lower cholesterol levels, stabilize blood sugar, and decrease the risk of cancer. 

Once again, allow me to remind you . . . it will make you poop.

DSC_0032

And that mucilaginous quality . . . makes turning thousands of flax seeds into several crispy crackers . . . easy.

DSC_0009-1

Ingredients

  • 2 cups organic flax seeds
  • 2 cups water
  • 1-2 tablespoons naturally fermented Tamara sauce
  • sea salt

Directions

DSC_0012-1

  • Place flax seeds in a bowl.  Add water and allow mixture to sit for approximately  1.5 hours. 

DSC_0014

  • Add tamari and salt.  Mix. 
DSC_0020-1
  • Place (not pour – much like concrete) the slimy mixture on a cookie sheet OR in a dehydrator.  I recommend you try and keep the layer of seeds thin.

I found that my crackers were too thick. 

DSC_0036

  • Dehydrate at 110 degrees for 4-6 hours or bake at 170 for 12 hours.  (I had mine in the over overnight for 12 hours.)

You can experiment with other flavors such as garlic, cinnamon, or herb flax crackers.  Flax crackers are excellent paired with guacamole, kimichi, or chicken salad. 

For  more whole foods recipes visit my resource page.

I’d love to see you be a regular here, sign up to receive more good recipes in you inbox! 

Subscribe to Granola Mom 4 God by Email
blog comments powered by Disqus