Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Totally Tasty Tomato Soup

Only a few soups are universally agreed upon as tasty in our household. 

DSC_0042

Tomato soup is one of them. 

I am looking forward to the day when we can have a sprouted grilled cheese dunked in homemade tomato soup.  I have wheat berries sprouting right now for such an occasion.

DSC_0002

Whenever we traveled anywhere in India, the trains always served grilled cheese and tomato soup.  I would love to get my hands on “Indian Train Ride Tomato Soup.”

DSC_0041

This recipe will have to suffice. 

My kids like it, and so do I. 

Tomato Basil Soup

  • 1 garlic clove (I probably use 2-3), peeled and minced (my favorite garlic press)
  • 1 tbsp coconut oil
  • 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
  • 6 cups chicken stock
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 cup basil (don’t skimp)
  • 2 large cans diced tomatoes (or from your garden)

Directions

  1. Heat coconut oil in a large pot.  Add onions and sauté for 5 minutes.  I often go for a caramelized onion.  Nothing like having tomato soup also remind you of onion rings. 
  2. Add garlic and cook until the garlic oil has permeated every room in your home (about 2 minutes). 
  3. Plop tomatoes in while you wear an apron.  
  4. Stir in chicken stock and bring to a boil.  Once your soup begins to burp, reduce heat and allow your red deliciousness to simmer for 10 minutes. 
  5. To make your soup have the WOW-Factor, add basil and vinegar.

DSC_0040

6.  With your VitaMix ($25 coupon)  or an immersion blender, blend new ingredients well. 

DSC_0044

For other recipes, head on over to my virtual cookbook

 

blog comments powered by Disqus