Monday, March 26, 2012

Attempting Easy Weight Loss: The Full Bar

Being a whole foods organic snob doesn’t mean I am perfect.   I just want something to be easy.  Less time consuming.  Less work.

  • Like plastic bags.  There are just times that I don’t want to potentially break another Mason jar.  Or wash a Tupperware container.
  • Hot dog buns.  I love making bread . . . but buns . . . no.
  • Organic ketchup.  Fermenting is fun . . . but I have to plan ahead. 
  • Melatonin.  Please kids . . . go to sleep!!!!!

I must admit that I wish weight loss was easy. 

I suppose it is easier for some than others.  I am in the “others” category. 

When I half-heartedly began to dabble in weight loss before Christmas, I was quick to jump on any trendy and seemingly effortless trick. 

Enter Hotpants (anti-cellulite shorts).  The only thing they do is make you . . . well . . . hot . . . you know perspire copious amounts.  And then you just stink.  Glad I received that failure for free.

When I was contacted to review another weight loss product called the Fullbar,  I cast all the knowledge I had acquired regarding whole foods out the door.  Just make me stop eating!!!

 

DSC_0025-1

What is the Fullbar?

Fullbar is like having bariatric surgery without the surgery.  When you eat the tasty bar 30 minutes before lunch and dinner with a glass of water, your stomach registers a false sense of full . . . but nevertheless a helpful “false full.” 

Fullbar contains an ingredient called Slendesta.  It is found in potatoes and is deemed natural.  The idea behind Slendesta, according to the Fullbar website,  is that it “enhances the release of Cholesystokinin, the natural signaling peptide within our body.  Once released it travels through your body and increases your feelings of fullness and satisfaction.”

As a result the consumer of the Fullbar should, in theory, eat less and feel full for an extended period of time. 

DSC_0027-1

Unless said subject, likes the taste so much they think they should eat two.  Not that I ever did that.

Does it work?  My thoughts.

 

DSC_0026-1

Yes, I did feel fuller.  Yes, I did eat less at the meals I used my Fullbar appropriately.  No, i did not lose weight using the Fullbar for a week.

My Concerns

Slendesta is derived from potatoes.  Potatoes have a thin skin.  For this reason, it is highly recommended that any potato you eat, be organic, as harsh chemicals such as Bud Nip or pesticides will remain on your potato.  The Fullbar is not organic. 

It does state that it is “natural,”  though.

What is natural?

Well, the website defines “natural” with the word . . . natural. 

“Fullbar is made of 100% natural ingredients and is an exceptionally safe weight-loss tool.”

Therefore, I would wager that the potatoes used are conventionally grown.  As small as the amount may be, you are opening yourself up to foreign chemicals entering your body.  Chemicals and a healthy body don’t mix.  If you commit to the Fullbar program, then you will consume over 60 bars the first 4 weeks using the conventionally-grown-pesticide-containing-potato-derivative Slendesta.

I suppose you have to weigh the pro’s and con’s . . . weight loss that leads to longevity and health or pesticide consumption that leads to death and deterioration.

For long term use, I do have some issues with other ingredients contained in the Fullbar.  For example, my favorite flavor was the Cocoa Chip Fullbar.  Questionable ingredients are puffed wheat cereal, soy protein concentrate, agave syrup, canola oil and “natural flavorings.”

The quality of each of these ingredients could stand alone as a separate blog post. 

  • puffed wheat – I can not stress the importance of eating properly prepared grain . . . soaked . . . sprouted . . . organic . . . and as naturally as possible.  Sigh.  Not “puffed.”
  • soy protein – I avoid soy at all costs unless it has been fermented.  Soy is not your thyroid’s friend, trust me, as I have Hashimoto’s disease. 
  • agave syrup . . . ugh.  It really is no better than corn syrup.  Just use raw honey or real maple syrup. 
  • poison canola oil – this oil IS NOT a healthy oil . . . if you use canola oil in your home, I implore you to discover the truth about what you have been told. 
  • natural flavorings . . . why the mystery ingredient?  Why do so many of us just accept the term natural flavorings?

My conclusion

I felt full.  It tasted too good to stop with one.  The Fullbar regimen is doable and definitely promotes hope in the individual that has consistently struggled to find a program that works.

BUT . . . the Fullbar will not be considered as an option for me in my weight loss journey.  For something that I am ingesting twice a day over an extended period of time, I greatly consider what the ingredients are, how they are farmed, what production process is involved, and if it is organic. 

There certainly are worse weight loss options, though.   

What weight loss techniques work for you?

blog comments powered by Disqus