Monday, February 22, 2010

Math Mammoth: A Review

I can’t find something.  I can’t find the pictures that I was going to share with you of Mr. Smackdown doing his math. 

I had a certain curriculum picked out for mathematics this year.  It told me exactly what to do and used a bunch of manipulatives.  We kind of lost interest.  Perhaps I should have started with the first grade curriculum. 

I never intended to use Math Mammoth, a math curriculum I received to review,  as our core math component, and use other curriculums as a supplement.  I expected to randomly use Math Mammoth.

But Mr. Smackdown loves Math Mammoth.

What is Math Mammoth?

There are four different affordable color-coded series of books:

  • Light Blue Series - a complete curriculum that goes by grade levels.
  • Blue Series - shorter worktexts for different topics from
      addition to decimals.  

The above work well for review, reinforcement, filling in gaps, etc.  The light blue and blue series are similar to regular math having explanations of the concepts and practice problems.

  • Golden Series - worksheet collections (or workbooks)
      for grades 3-8. These worksheets contain very variable
      problems in each sheet, and are not script-made.
  • Green Series - as above, but by topic, not by grade.

Currently we are working through Math Mammoth Grade 1-A Complete Worktext, part of the light blue series. 

image
Topics included in this worktext are:

  • addition and subtraction concept and basic facts within 0-10
  • place value with 2-digit numbers (a.k.a. tens and ones)
  • some adding and subtracting within 0-100
  • some geometry and measuring topics
  • reading clock to the half-hour
  • counting and using coins (US, Euro, or Canadian)

Mr. Smackdown likes it because in a nutshell, he likes worksheets.  He knows what to expect by simply looking at the page.  He is feeling very comfortable doing addition sentences/problems. 

I am pleased with what I have seen so far . . . however, I have noticed that there isn’t much explanation regarding the particular concept we are learning.  But what he is doing doesn’t require a lot of explaining.  It lacks frills and designer graphics . . . but the pictures used do the job.  I think I would prefer something simple to keep the price low. 

So would I recommend it?  I like it.  BUT if you have an older child, I couldn’t recommend it without seeing how the more difficult concepts are introduced and explained.

Visit Math Mammoth to learn more about their products and to see if they have something you might be able to  use in your schoolroom.

For more reviews, visit The Old Schoolhouse Homeschool Crew

blog comments powered by Disqus