Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Giving: Not Just At Christmas

For some reason there is a big push during the Christmas Season to give.  

Give money.  Donate.  Volunteer.  Pray a lot.  Read the Christmas Story.

But what about the other 11 months of the year?

Why can’t we treat the rest of the year with big, generous hearts?  Why not read the story of our Savior’s birth monthly, if not weekly.  Let’s savor the awe . . . let’s bask in the absolute miracle God performed.

It is because I think that we should live our daily lives making room in the inn for our Savior that I bring you this unique project by the hungry planet bible project and published by Tyndale. 

image

I kept putting off watching this documentary because Christmas had come and gone . . . but it shouldn’t be that way.  A few nights ago, actually Super Bowl night, I had a few quiet moments due to the fact that our TV didn’t get great coverage of the game.  So I watched this video. 

Why didn’t I do it sooner?

Compelling.

Moving.

Taken from the Tyndale website,

The Hungry Planet Bible Project is raising awareness of the plight of the homeless and hungry. It will mobilize the church into action on behalf of the poor. The Hungry Planet Bible Project is traveling 10,000 miles across America to dozens of cities and rural communities, giving a face and a voice to the hungry and homeless. Using cutting-edge interactive multimedia, the experience they bring utilizes video, audio, print, photography, an interactive travelogue, social networking, forums, prayer walls, and donation sites to inspire us to put our faith into action on behalf of the poor. Along with their recitation of Scripture, the homeless and hungry will bless and teach us through their emotional stories of failure, life, and faith. This major initiative brings together retailers, churches, the media, food pantries, homeless shelters, and other organizations to help us as Christians achieve the ministry goals God has laid on our hearts.

I learned that 90% of the homeless are basically invisible.  Women and families with young children comprise the majority of our country’s homeless.  Did you know that it cost taxpayers $45-50,000 per year to help a homeless person, but through The Hungry Planet Bible Project the average cost is $14,000 per year AND they actually equip these people that God created to make positive changes that will last. 

I will admit that I am guilty of having a hard heart towards the homeless I see standing at our local intersections.  Or the people sitting on the sidewalks downtown with a can in front of them.  I don’t trust them and I don’t know what they are going to do with the money I give them.  Sometimes I just obey when God works on my heart and I give them some cash.  I have also taken them to a restaurant for food.  And other times, I pretend I don’t see them.

But the hungry bible planet bible project works to change a life.  In their own words, “they help the modern day innkeepers make room in the inn.”

You can purchase this documentary and resources from Christian Book Distributors or Amazon.  Each purchase of this product will prompt a donation to organizations and ministries that help those in need. 

But you will hold in your hands, a resource in which to start a grassroots movement in your neck of the woods.

Thanks to Tyndale for sending me this DVD to review.  I was not paid for this post, nor do I have to return the DVD with its resources.   

blog comments powered by Disqus