Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Beehive Reader: A Review

Ya’ll know that I am quite the book snob.  I willingly admit it. 

I have a new book to add to my collection. 

I have yet to decide if it is a school book or a sustainable book.  I suppose it could legally fall into both categories.  But a school book has the designation of “it might get sold one day.” 

I don’t plan on selling this book.

image

It is mine, mine, mine.

Errr . . . theirs, mine, theirs.

image

I received this book from Marie Rippel, author of the All About Spelling curriculum, that Mr. Me-Too is using.  (To refresh your memory you can re-read this post.)

image

This book is not only a great supplement to the All About Spelling curriculum BUT it is simply a great beginning reader book – almost like a modern day Dick and Jane.  I anticipate my children associating this book with fond memories as it launched them into the world of exploration and imagination. 

image

According to Rippel, she created The Beehive Reader because she

discovered that there isn't an interesting reading series designed for children who need a solid, incremental approach. Most of the "easy reader" type of books aren't truly decodable. They throw in too many sight words that the child isn't ready for yet. And too many new reading concepts are added in at once. Or the story lines just don't make sense, and the books were not enjoyable to read.

To see how each story correlates to the All About Spelling steps you can view the word list here.  Without a doubt, this is a quality book.  Every single aspect of the design of this book from the hard cover, to the font, to the paper used was planned with young readers in mind.

You can purchase The Beehive Reader for $19.95 at All About Spelling.

Click on the Homeschool Crew banner to read other reviews on this product.

As a member of The Old Schoolhouse Homeschool Crew, I was given this product to review, and I do not have to return the product to the vendor. I was not paid for this post. All opinions expressed in this post are delightfully mine. And I am keeping this book!

blog comments powered by Disqus