Monday, February 15, 2010

In the Land of Odds: A Review

We are a bit picky about what we allow our children to watch on TV.  They can watch SOME PBS morning shows . . . but not all of them.  Mainstream cartoons . . . Disney . . . even Ronald McDonald – they would struggle to tell you who is popular.

And I am OK with that. 

It means less TV for me.  If they are watching TV then that means I am watching TV.  I want to be there if they don’t understand something.  I want to be there to discuss if a character acted according to God’s Word . . . or if the character needed to change  their behavior and ask for forgiveness.

My children are young and I can’t expect them to make value and moral judgments by themselves right now.  My job as their mom is to act as their guide and teach them how to view a show in light of eternity.  When they are older, I will know that I will have given them the tools to view life through a Christian worldview and act accordingly.

Recently, I was given the opportunity to review, with my children, In the Land of Odds DVD, through my participation with MamaBzz

January fun 021

Rising Star Studios could have just sent me the DVD . . . but they actually went the extra mile and included a note, fruit snacks and popcorn. 

They didn’t have to do that . . . but they did.  I may be jumping the gun, but if they pay attention to the tiny details included in a package to me, then they probably pay attention to tiny content details in their video. 

You could argue that the tiny details may have a negative impact on my children. 

However, after watching this DVD three times . . . overall I am pleased with the positive content and beneficial character training.  My children enjoyed the characters, especially excited that they were allowed to watch some talking cars.   We were able to discuss what happened, how the cars made poor choices, and what the particular car should have done instead.

I do have two issues, not deal breakers . . . but they slightly annoyed me. 

Cali, a very feminine car, is a complete Valley Girl and talks like one.  I already struggle with saying “like” in unnecessary places, and really do not wish to encourage my children to speak unintelligently. 

Secondly, one of the bonus episodes features a car who gets her feelings hurt because no one shows up for her talent show.  The episode ends with this yellow car demonstrating, I would venture to say, un-forgiveness, over her friend’s neglect.  As she goes inside her house, the cars drive down the street discussing what occurred.  The closing line from the scientific car is, “I wish I could invent a relationship repair mechanism.” 

The abrupt ending saddened me.  In our house, this story would not be over.  There is a relationship repair mechanism and His name is Jesus.  If we have hurt someone it is important to confess our wrong and ask for forgiveness.  The offender makes an ERNEST effort to repair the relationship  before walking away. 

BUT other than that . . . I liked this series.  I would let my children watch more Auto-B-Good episodes . . . but I would still sit with them . . . but then again, I always do.  Or I am at least hovering . . .

_________________________________

The Legit Low-Down

 

”"Auto-B-Good is a five time Emmy Award winning series that can be seen on public television and all around the world. The series is based on the adventures of 9 vehicles, each with their own unique personality, who live in the City of Auto. Each episode is centered around a different Character Development Trait, such as honesty, respect, caring, fairness and many more.

There are currently six DVD’s available (Seasons one and two). Each DVD has four episodes on it.

Ages: 3-10

Price: $7.99

Put out by: Rising Star Studios

Addtional Links for Auto-B-Good include the following:

”"

blog comments powered by Disqus