Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Young Minds: Numbers and Counting

We went through a season where we were all sick.  When you have three young children, all of whom participate in church activities, and two who are thumb suckers . . . everyone is bound to get sick. 

In our house, sickness is equated with one special treat . . . TV.  I’m not ashamed or embarrassed about it.  I know that when I am sick, I don’t want to think.  I want to go to that mindless, thoughtless, numb and restorative happy place – the couch.

So when Mr. Smiley got sick, I wasn’t quite sure how I was going to help the little guy relax.  Sleep evaded him while discomfort overwhelmed his body.  Not one to watch TV (since our children typically haven’t been allowed to watch television until they are at least 2 years old), I was concerned about how I would distract my toddler during his agony.

But one thing worked, much to my surprise.  And I am glad that the one thing that entertained him, just so happened to be educational.

image

Introducing Young Minds: Numbers and Counting by MathTutor.DVD.com.   As part of The Old Schoolhouse Homeschool Crew, I was given the opportunity to review this GREAT product. 

Now, I want you to know that I really disdain that comatose look that children (and even adults) get while watching TV.  It is almost as if the TV acts like like The Matrix.  It controls you, causing your hearing to fail and insolent behaviors to emerge.  In order to emerge from the TV unscathed, you have to choose the correct pill, red or blue?  (Anyone know?)

Just like there are sustainable books, there are also sustainable videos.  Young Minds:  Numbers and Counting is one such DVD.  Why?  Well, because I said so.  Just kidding.  I think it is sustainable because:

1.  It is REAL classical music  played by a REAL orchestra.

image

2.  Quality photography (you all know how much I appreciate a good photograph).

image

3.  Applicable, age-appropriate, and instantly usable learning (particularly a focus on counting).

image

According to the MathTutorDVD.com website, where you can view a clip of the DVD, your child will learn:

- To recognize the numbers 1-10.
- Associate the number with physical objects.
- Count from 1-10.
- Animal names and sounds.
- Fruits and Vegetables.
- Names of colors.
- Names of machines such as cars, airplanes, etc.

Bonus features include:

- Repeat Play
- Picture Puzzles
- Connect the Dots
- Name the Animal

The DVD’s list price is $29.99 but you can purchase it from MathTutorDVD.com for $19.99.

Find out what the other Homeschool Crew members think of this and other MathTutorDVD products by clicking on the below picture!

Homeschool Crew

I was not paid for this post.  I am thankful for this company sending me such a quality product, because their DVD brought a moments reprieve for this once very sick and tired mom a few weeks back!

blog comments powered by Disqus