Monday, April 12, 2010

AAS Book 2: What Am I?

Hmmm. . . I have mixed feelings about All About Spelling’s second reader titled, What Am I? a collection of short stories, by Marie Rippel and Renee LaTulippe.  It corresponds to Level 2 of the All About Spelling curriculum.

WhatAmICover

If you will recall, we REALLY enjoyed the first reader in the series and have benefited from The All About Spelling reading curriculum.  Mr. Me-Too is still plugging away through learning his sounds. 

It has been fun to see him experiment with reading.  We have focused more on the sounds than the letter names.  For example, last week he saw the word FOX.  He proceeded to sound out “f” then “o” and then he said the letter x (which we haven’t worked on yet).  Pretty neat!

SamplePages3

I liked many of the same things in the second book as in the first--

  • quality, hard cover
  • non-glare pages
  • easy to read font
  • engaging pictures

However, some of the stories we just couldn’t connect with.  For example, the story about the “Elf in the Alps,” was rather eerie or creepy.   And I didn’t always follow the story line in “Broken Robot” and “Pine Tree Pet Shop.”  I realize that the authors only had a minimal word list . . . but sometimes the sentences just didn’t seem to go together. 

SamplePages2

My conlusion:  Beehive Reader 1 is a MUST HAVE.  Beehive Reader 2 (AKA What Am I?) is negotiable. 

Click on the Homeschool Crew banner to read other reviews on this product

As a member of the Homeschool Crew, I was given this product to review, and I do not have to return the product to the vendor. I was not paid for this post. All opinions expressed in this post are delightfully mine.

blog comments powered by Disqus