Monday, April 5, 2010

Mason Jar Mustard

I like to make my own condiments for several reasons.

  • They taste better.
  • They are fermented.
  • I personally acquired the ingredients used in said condiment.
  • I can actually pronounce ALL of the ingredients in my mayonnaise, ketchup and mustard.  (By the way, you can click on the link to go to my other Mason Jar recipes—I warn you the formatting is off on those posts . . . back before I used Live Writer.)

Did you know that mustard seed is a cousin to your broccoli and cabbage? 

cooking 019

When you grind a mustard seed, watch out!!!  I discovered that the mustard seed is almost like a skunk.  What happens during the grinding process is that the friction from the blender blades encourages a rather pungent compound to be released that assaults your nose and eyes.  For this very reason, mustard used to be used to help treat lung disease and sinus issues. 

While homemade mustard does have a bit of “kick” to it . . . it is yummy.  A small bit goes a long way.  (Note:  the Hottie Hubby likes to mix our Mason Jar Mustard with some mayonnaise.)

Ingredients:

cooking 018

  • 1 1/2 cup ground mustard
  • 1/2 cup filtered water
  • 2 tbls whey
  • 2 tsp sea salt
  • juice of 1 lemon
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1 tbls honey

Directions:

Mix all of your ingredients together in a food processor.  I ground my mustard before adding any other ingredients. 

cooking 020

After the majority of the seeds are pulverized, all of the other ingredients can be dumped into the (my) Vita Mix.  (You don’t have to have a Vita Mix to make this recipe.  A blender should work or a food processor of some sort.  You might want to mash your garlic prior to entry into the blender.)

cooking 021

Whey

Add more water if necessary to obtain a consistency that you would like to  spread on your homemade bread for the perfect sandwich.

cooking 022

Place your newly created mustard spread in a pint-sized jar.  The top of the mustard should be 1 inch below the top of the glass jar.  Seal tightly and keep at room temperature for 3 days.  Transfer to the refrigerator and enjoy! 

    cooking 023 cooking 024

blog comments powered by Disqus