Thursday, April 22, 2010

Super Star Speech: A Review

imageOne thing that I love (and at times hate) about my midwife (and friend), is that she forces me to make educated decisions.  She doesn’t make decisions about my health for me . . . she has taught me the value in becoming self-educated and making responsible choices that affect my body.  By learning all of the facts surrounding an issue, I can make my decisions and not have regret or feel quickly forced into a healthcare corner.

Likewise, as parents we should be making responsible and informed decisions about their child’s development and education.  It is important to look around, ask questions, survey curriculum, and be involved in your child’s education whether your child is schooled inside or outside of the home. 

With the right tools, a parent can be an excellent educator or even a helpful therapist. 

Is your answer to any of these questions a resounding “yes”?

  • Are you concerned about your child's speech development?
  • Is your child difficult to understand?
  • Is your child becoming frustrated with his or her speech errors?
  • Are you interested in helping your child master difficult speech sounds at home?

If so, then you might want to consider using Super Star Speech by Deborah Lott. 

image

In the introduction of Deborah Lott’s book she states, “because of their ability to provide consistent daily practice, parents are in an excellent position to correct their children’s speech sound errors at home.” 

To be honest, I had never even considered being my child’s speech therapist should the need arise.  But with the proper tools, like Super Star Speech, I see that I could potentially help any of my children “achieve developmentally appropriate speech” as the focus of Lott’s book “is the correction of articulation (speech sound) errors.”  (Please note that it is advised to seek a professional if your child has language delay or other physical problems.)

Super Star Speech includes an articulation test that you can administer to your child to determine if there are problem areas.  If the test reveals some speech issues, guess what?  Included in the manual are various teaching resources and games to help you direct your child towards proper speech patterns.

Contained in your manual are:

  • Articulation test assesses speech sounds in all word positions.
  • Specific instructions and tips for teaching every sound
  • 240  picture cards printed on colored card stock (ring bound edition)
  • Games and activities for enjoyable practice and drill
  • Reproducible lesson plan forms
  • Comes in a 3 ring binder ($22.95) for easy of removal of activity sheets and picture  cards or spiral bound ($18.95) for easy photocopying

To learn more visit Super Star Speech, read Deborah Lott’s speech development blog, or read what other Crew members have to say by clicking on the below banner. 

As a member of the Homeschool Crew, I was given this product to review, and I do not have to return the product to the vendor. I was not paid for this post. All opinions expressed in this post are delightfully mine.

 

blog comments powered by Disqus