Monday, August 30, 2010

Bhindi

I used to think that okra was ONLY a southern dish.  I didn’t want much to do with it.  Then, when I was making baby food for Mr. Smackdown some six years ago, I tried okra and was disturbed.

okra 001

It’s slimy.

I can understand mango being slimy . . . or even a banana.  You get a sweet reward for putting up with its sliminess. 

But okra? 

However, in India they know how to cook it right.  I was reminded of this a few weeks ago when we stopped to have dinner at my favorite Indian restaurant (India Sizzling). 

Last week, Okra became available in my Farm Fresh basket.  This week, I ordered two shares of it.

And here is the recipe for why I am so stoked for my dinner tomorrow night.

okra 008

Bhindi (aka Okra)

  • 2 cups (I’m guessing), beheaded and detailed, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
  • 1 onion (want to know how I cut onions?)
  • 1 tsp cumin powder
  • 1 tsp coriander powder
  • 1/2  tsp turmeric powder
  • 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tbsp oil (I used butter mixed with olive oil, but coconut oil, or Palm Oil would also work well)
  • salt, to taste

okra 006

After washing chopped bhindi, allow it to dry. Heat oil in a frying pan, and when hot add the cumin and onion, cooking until translucent.

okra 005

Add the chopped bhindi and all the spices.  Sautee until the okra turns dark green and softens.

okra 007

Finally add salt to taste.

Note:  I allowed our okra to get slightly crispy and perhaps a little burnt.  It was served with Teriyaki Chicken (from Nourishing Traditions), local sweet corn, and Red Raspberry Leaf tea, of course.

blog comments powered by Disqus