Monday, August 23, 2010

English Muffins

I had no idea that I could learn to make English Muffins.  Crazy. 

But you can make them. 

And in reality, it is best to eat the things that you can make in your own kitchen, besides what God grows for you in the ground and raises for you in a pasture .

Homemade English muffins

Using my sourdough starter (that survived the move), I made a sponge dough that fermented overnight.

school 2 010

In the morning, I added salt and 4 cups of wheat flour.

school 2 011

I tossed some corn meal on the counter and divided up my dough into approximately 16 equal balls.

school 2 014 

Each ball was rolled out slightly and then the process of unification began. 

school 2 016

Using our drinking glasses, I cut out perfect circles.

school 2 017 

Once I reformed the scrap dough, I ended up with 21 English Muffins.

school 2 018

They sat for 4+ hours to rise.

Sue Gregg 001

After they had doubled in size, I cooked them over medium heat for 5 minutes on each side. 

Sue Gregg 002

The anticipation mounted in the kitchen. 

Sue Gregg 009

It was time to sample this fermented bread.

Sue Gregg 005

Sadly, as of this morning, they are all gone.  However, these English Muffins just might very well become staples in our kitchen pantry.

And if you would like to know in detail how to make these muffins . . . you’ll have to purchase Sue Gregg’s Whole Grain Baking recipe book.    I can’t give you the recipe, but I can tell you it is a great cookbook!

By the way, I just blogged about this because I was excited. 

blog comments powered by Disqus