Monday, April 18, 2011

Max on Life: A Review

I reaimaged Max when I first came to know Jesus.  For a while I felt like I “knew” Max. 

Up until about 10 years ago, I read every single book he had written . . . in fact, I read them before he wrote them.

Just kidding. 

But something changed.  I changed.  My walk with the Lord changed.  Instead of powerful stories or topical sermons . . . I really wanted to understand the words in the Bible for myself.  I wanted to know what Jesus really meant . . . the full context of a powerful statement.

Or . . . the culture behind Paul’s message.

I really wanted to pedal my own bike, I suppose.  And the more grounded I became, taking the spiritual training wheels off of my Bible, the less I read of Max Lucado’s work.

Max was/is an excellent teacher – the “Strider” in my life. . . someone that I grew under as I drafted off of him. 

Don’t get me wrong.  Max Lucado is an excellent writer.  He paints a picture with words – a true talent and gift of the Lord.  But I wanted the inspired Words of God to paint my spiritual backdrop. 

I like a good book . . . this you well know if you read my blog regularly. 

However, when it comes to pumping air into the tires of my spiritual 29’er . . . give me Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith… of my faith.  Give me my Bible.

That said . . . Max on Life is a book filled with questions from Max fans . . . someone like the Jodi of 10 years ago.  And those questions are answered by Max, the author.  Kind of like a call-in radio show… only in a book.

Most likely, I would not have bought the book.  But I would go to a bookstore on a date night and flip through the book looking for a soul stirring question to discuss with the Engineer. 

If you’re a Max fanatic . . . sprint . . . don’t roll to the store for this book.  But if you are a nominal fan and aren’t into books that are set up as a call-in radio show . . . don’t purchase the book.

Thank you Thomas Nelson for allowing me to read and review Max on Life.  I was not paid for this post and was encouraged to freely give my opinion.

I review for BookSneeze®
blog comments powered by Disqus