Wednesday, April 6, 2011

My Greenhouse

The focus is on regrouping.  Learning from past mistakes and instant successes. 

I envision another square foot garden . . . but with a to-be-determined un-square-like twist.

I left my 4 square and 1 triangle garden behind . . . and acquired a field of weeds.  A space to do anything with . . . make any dream come true so long as my thumb remains green and my husband is willing to work (shhhh!).

022

The first major change of the gardening season relates to soil preparation.

It had been planted in good soil by abundant water so that it would produce branches, bear fruit and become a splendid vine.  (Ezekiel 17:8)

028

As usual I am using Mel’s Mix,

  • 1/3 vermiculite
  • 1/3 compost
  • 1/3 peat moss.

However, thanks to some nifty tips from My Square Foot Garden, I scooped out a bucket of Mel’s Mix and added just enough water to make my “soil” moist and clumpy. 

034

Then, my children plopped it ever so gently into the soil’s new black beds.

040

Using a sharpened pencil I poked holes for little hands to distribute their personally selected seeds into.  049

On a side note, I am pleased to say that they each chose flower packets so that they could bless me with petals this summer.

028

In fact, today I received beautiful, carefully plucked spring “what’s it called?” flowers during recess.

033

Back to the topic at hand, when my garden team was  finished, I made sure that each tiny little container had a mound of dirt on top, like so.

040

Why?

Well, since the soil as already wet, I really didn’t need to water the soil.  So, the mounds remain.  The idea is that by being mounded it creates a way for the water to run off instead of sitting on top of the dirt and harboring a safe refuge for mold to grow.  (Not that this has ever happened to me.)

051

Besides, it works best to water from below.  The soil and roots can work like a straw.

That person is like a tree planted by streams of water,
   which yields its fruit in season
and whose leaf does not wither—
   whatever they do prospers.
  (Psalm 1:3)

I’d say that my new method is working. 

006

In fact, it’s working so well that I kind of have forgotten about my tender shoots. 

007

My greenhouse has preformed significantly better than previous years.  Now, location could have something to do with that . . .

But I have failed to grow mold this year.

And coming from a woman who enjoys growing bacteria . . . this is saying a lot! 

049

For the next stage of my growing, per the suggestion of The Square Foot Gardener, I need to submit my plants to a fan . . . in order to make their trunks strong.

Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him.  (James 1:12)

All I have yet to do is come up with a design for my garden . . .

Many things are already sprouting . . .

048

I am most excited about some new additions to our hopeful harvest:  spinning gourds, miniature pumpkins,  birdhouse gourds, Silver Queen okra, Stowell’s Evergreen corn, Rossa Di Trento lettuce, Purple Top White Globe turnips, Crystal Apple cucumbers, and Golden Midget watermelons. 

But what remains is a well-thought out plan . . . a meandering, contemplative green place where real food thrives, children and hearts are nourished, hands work alongside the Lord, and the Hubby sees some profit from his travail.

Psalm 128

1 Blessed are all who fear the LORD,
   who walk in obedience to him.
2 You will eat the fruit of your labor;
   blessings and prosperity will be yours
.
3 Your wife will be like a fruitful vine
   within your house;
your children will be like olive shoots
   around your table.
4 Yes, this will be the blessing
   for the man who fears the LORD.

5 May the LORD bless you from Zion;
   may you see the prosperity of Jerusalem
   all the days of your life.
6 May you live to see your children’s children—
   peace be on Israel.

Many thanks to the Homeschool Village for holding me accountable to document our family table.  Be sure to enter my giveaway for a free flower printable download to complete with your Toddler! 

image

blog comments powered by Disqus