Thursday, April 28, 2011

My Last Secret: Oil

I have pretty much revealed almost all of the granola things about our life . . . much to the dismay of my adoring Engineer. 

Despite my attempts to get the man on Twitter . . . I believe he would rather suffer a major sports injury from cycling than enter the world of social media . . . a world where you have friends that are one-dimensional . . . and sometimes lack a face. 

There is one Granola Family secret I have yet to share with you. 

It’s a secret that resulted in my friendship with an online friend. 

Sigh. 

Meet Rachel, my email buddy.  I met her though a Yahoo group I used to belong to a few years back.  She isn’t an email buddy anymore.  She is an IRL friend.  She showed up at my house on one of my WORST days, and still seems to be my friend.  

010

I have been cautious to share with you a little secret that we have.  Almost like a secret weapon. 

Because I thought you might not believe me.  You might stop reading my thoughts.  So I have refrained for 3 years in sharing with you this one last little secret.

Are you ready?

We use essential oils. 

There.  I said it. 

You may say, “What’s the big deal about that?” 

Well . . . I use essential oils for a lot of different things.  Essential oils have a lot of uses . . . and healing properties.

But I didn’t always believe.  I used to be a skeptic. 

Until I read my Bible. 

  • It always struck me that the wise men brought frankincense and myrrh to Jesus . . . we still value gold, so why not still use essential oils today?  There are over 188 references to essential oils in the Bible.  Hmmm . . .
  • Jesus was anointed with oil, “You did not anoint My head with oil, but this woman has anointed My feet with fragrant oil.”  (Luke 7:46)
  • Oil is used to heal the sick found in James 5:14, “Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord.”
  • There is even a recipe for holy anointing oil!  (Exodus 30:22-30)
    • myrrh (approximately 1 gallon)
    • sweet cinnamon (approximately 1/2 gallon)
    • sweet calamus (two hundred and fifty shekels)
    • cassia (five hundred shekels)
    • olive oil (approximately 1 1/3 gallons)
  • Essential oils were used in powerful ways, such as in Psalm 23: 5, 

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;

You anoint my head with oil;

My cup runs over

  • or Psalm 104: 14-15,

He causes the grass to grow for the cattle,

And vegetation for the service of man,

That he may bring forth food from the earth,

And wine that makes glad the heart of man,

Oil to make his face shine,

And bread which strengthens man’s heart.

Upon learning this, I started listening to what people had to say. 

What I kept hearing again and again, was that essential oils were life-changing . . . not life-changing like meeting Jesus, but live changing in improving the quality of life. 

Healing.

Let me give you one example . . . well . . . two.

(ONE) Soon after Gabe was born, I seriously hurt myself . . . my rib . . . something.  I ended up in the emergency room because the pain was so bad.  They could find nothing wrong with me.  Grrrr . . . . that was a waste of my time and money.

So . . . I went home and dug out my Young Living Pan Away oil. 

Young Living Oils 001 It hit the spot. 

I rubbed it on.  The pain disappeared. 

(TWO)  Recently, I went to the Cincinnati Homeschoolers Conference.  Great conference.  Had a delightful time with my baby girl.

One issue however . . .  I wore her non-stop for two days. 

homeschool conference 004

As a result, I developed a few odd spots in my back and shoulder that my chiropractor is still working on  . . . several weeks later.

Rather than taking aspirin . . . I rub Pan Away on my sore collar bone (with a carrier oil called Ortho-Ease).  I don’t notice my pain until the end of the day . . . or I take a nap.

True statements. 

Wanna know more? Don’t worry, I’ll be sharing. 

In the meantime, let me know if you would like some oils!  I’m a Young Living Distributor! 

blog comments powered by Disqus