Friday, October 30, 2009

ABC Teach -- A Review

As part of the The Old Schoolhouse Homeschool Crew, I was given the opportunity to use and review a membership level access for free to the website abcteach.

Let me tell you some fun facts about having a membership with abcteach:

  • the membership fee is only $40/year (approximately $3.35/month), which realistically you might be spending on workbooks anyway
  • you will have 35,000 pintables at your fingertips, with more documents added weekly to reflect current events and seasons
  • educational clip art (a bonus if you make Bible memory verse cards!)
  • a weekly newsletter that alerts you to updates on the website
  • the ability to create custom documents
  • no advertising

I found myself frequently using the abcteach website during our trial period through The Old Schoolhouse Crew, as I am known to fly by the seat of my pants pajamas, when I teach. It isn’t uncommon for me to change my teaching focus during morning Tot School or Afternoon Kindergarten.

For example, I use Five In a Row as my guide to study quality literature with the boys. Last week, we were reading The Ugly Duckling, but I hadn’t planned any supplemental manipulatives to further help the boys understand and remember the elements of the story.

October activities 040

Enter abcteach! With their convenient search bar, I typed in The Ugly Duckling and VOILA! I found a great download of a black and white printable storyline that the boys could place in sequential order and then color. It was great . . . . and it took a matter of seconds to find it.

October activities 033

Another time, as I introduced the Letter D . . . I realized that we had already consumed the D practice page in our Handwriting Without Tears (HWT) workbook. No problem! I downloaded and printed letters A-D in less than a minute that were formatted according to HWT.

yoga and hartmans 017

The problem I suffer from is that if it is out of my sight, then it is out of my mind. I may already have the perfect workbook to supplement our core curriculum, but if it is hidden on the back of the shelf, it might as well be at 1/2 Price Books! That is why abcteach worked so well for me. Neo--The Mini, is often in the school room with us. So I just hop on the Internet, hit the tab for abcteach and find what I am looking for.

I honestly think that when you average out $40 over the course of the school year, or even year, that abcteach is a great value and tool. I recommend this website.

If you don’t purchase a membership, abcteach offers a free website with 6,000+ free pintables!

Click on the Homeschool Crew banner to read other reviews on this product

As a member of the Homeschool Crew, I was given this product to review, and I do not have to return the product to the vendor (that would have been kind of hard). I was not paid for this post. All opinions expressed in this post are mine .

1 comments:

Sarah said...

Well hello Neo!!