Monday, October 5, 2009

I'm Going to Find Success Differently than Marcus Recommends

I'll be honest, most of the books I read talk about God--more specifically, Jesus. And if the book isn't about Jesus, then it is probably about parenting (which still talks about Jesus) and some sort of whole-food book (which to be honest, recently have also talked about Jesus).


So, if a book doesn't start out about Jesus, it isn't a book from my book club, or it failed to come highly recommended from a friend, then reading said non-Jesus book is laborious.

Say that word out loud. It really is quite a fun word. Laborious.

Now, don't get me wrong. Some Jesus books are written by very boring authors and I have quietly put those books up on my www.paperbackswap.com account. Shhh!!!

However, I thought that I would read Find Your Strongest Life: What the Happiest and Most Successful Women Do Differently by Marcus Buckingham, since Thomas Nelson sent it to me (for free) to review. And thankfully Thomas Nelson encourages us to be honest. They aren't afraid of a little constructive criticism--I love that.

So here it is. I am putting Marcus Buckingham's book up on my www.paperbackswap.com account. I will not be eating a bowl of granola with this one!

I guess I may end up being a failure in life and never be happy, but if your life, your soul, your goal doesn't begin at the foot of the cross, I don't think that you can ever achieve happiness or true success.

To anyone who disagrees with this statement, I'm sorry. But Jesus has changed my life. I don't always act like I have a changed life, but with God's help I certainly try. Moving on.

Marcus Buckingham seems like a very intelligent and successful individual. He has helped countless professional women find their mojo (the ability to enjoy life with a smile on your face and happiness in your heart), live with purpose, and seemingly improve their quality of life. Heck, he worked with Oprah! And by the world's standards, that is success.

But success, to me, is that my kids grow up to follow Jesus. Success is not getting angry all day. Success is excelling at the profession of motherhood. Success is loving passionately. If the result of these things makes me influence the world, great. However, I am content to rest securely knowing that through Christ alone I am successful.

So, here is the title to my book: Find Your Strongest Life in A Savior: What the Happiest and Most Successful Women Read Everyday.


I review for Thomas Nelson Book Review Bloggers

1 comments:

Kari said...

This is the second review I've seen on this book and both reviews are the same. Kind of strange that Thomas Nelson published it, but oh well. I think self help books sans God and Jesus - well, that's what they are self help. I want His help, you know!