Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Virus Fighting Horchata

Horchata.

Yum drink.  But I’ve never had it homemade. 

Always processed. 

No longer.

I found a recipe.  Not only does it use brown rice, but it has Thieves essential oil in it.  I needed something to drink using an TGEO (therapeutic grade essential oil) because I was teaching an essential oil class. 

Kind of had to use what I was teaching about. 

DSC_0112

Cloudy. Cool.  Well, cool when it is over ice.

DSC_0113

Thieves Horchata

Ingredients

  • 1 cup brown rice
  • 2 quarts filtered water
  • 1-2 drops Thieves essential oil*
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 3/4 cup raw honey

Directions

  • In a large pot, combine rice, water, and Thieves.  Set aside for 3 hours. (Remember soaking a grain makes for a happy grain.  I am curious to see how this would do if I soaked the grain for ohhhhhhhh 3 days?  At least long enough to sprout.  But the question would be . . . do I soak the rice WITH the Thieves oil in it?)
  • After three hours (not before or after or during – just kidding – lighten up!) bring the water and rice to a boil.  Reduce heat.  I left the lid off . . . I didn’t care about having sticky or fluffy rice. 
  • Simmer for 30 minutes.
  • Allow to cool.
  • When a sufficient time has elapsed, get out the old blender.  I prefer the Vitamix.  I like some horsepower.  Blend until smooth.
  • Strain through a cheesecloth or a fine sieve.  Great activity for a 7 year old. 
  • Flavor with vanilla and honey.
  • Chill and serve over ice.  You might want a straw.  It’s a bit . . . thick.

*What is Thieves oil?  A very cool essential oil.  It’s a blend of oils that offers defense against the icky sickies.  Snotty noses.  Puking.  Using Thieves oil is a daily habit for our family, especially in the winter.  A little bit of Thieves will kill a lot of bacteria.

For more Granola Mom 4 God recipes, check out my recipe page! Or head on over to Real Food Wednesday.

blog comments powered by Disqus