Wednesday, November 30, 2011

A Finished Basement

There has been a flurry of activity on my blog this week . . . you might have noticed.  I got behind.  Pretty much behind in everything.

Monday was spent catching up.  Numerous blog posts.  I still have more. 


This scrambling or rather thrashing to keep my head above water (behind the scenes) was due to a rather unfortunate event . . . one that I don’t have pictures of.

The clean-up . . . has kept us busy.

I just couldn’t bring myself to take a picture of the excrement.

Our basement drain decided to poop.  You might remember me mentioning this incident several weeks ago.


In addition to the brown backup . . . water was invading our basement and bringing unwanted visitors with it.  Rather, it aided unwanted bacteria to travel and set up shop in our walls . . . our carpeting.

Once again, I couldn’t bring myself to take a picture.


And I always take pictures.

We were given a quote that to fix our basement. 



You see . . . we pay cash.  (By cash, I mean that we spend ONLY what we have in the bank . . . making sure to leave plenty in the Emergency Fund.)


(By the way, the previous owner left the TV.  It is kind of . . . stuck.)

We agreed before we got married that we wouldn’t go into debt, besides mortgaging a house.  And for the past 12 years we have stuck to our guns. 

But when you have a serious sanitation issue, the possibility of roots in your pipes, and mold growing behind your walls . . . rational thought floats away . . . because at those moments you want to do anything you can to protect your children’s lungs. 


I diffused oils. 

The Engineer and I had long discussions.

Praise God that my man is soooooooo calm and level-headed. 

And handy. 


Let me introduce you to our new and improved basement.  Paid with money that we had in the bank . . . we didn’t borrow. 

Our friend, Tim from Amazing Drywall, did the (obviously) walls.  The Engineer fixed the gutter . . . rented an excavator . . . added dirt . . . and installed drainage tiles that lead away from the house. 

I painted, encouraged, and installed some of the carpeting.  And the kids helped. 

It was powerful.  Bonding. 


Now I am ready to tackle our bathroom.  It has a leak in the shower drain . . . that has proceeded to drip into the school room.  I have called 4 different contractors.  None of them have called me back . . . even when I have hounded them with emails politely emailed them. 

Looks like we may learn how to install bath tubs and sauder pipes.

I find this a little exciting.  But I haven’t convinced the Engineer that this too could be a bonding project. 

(There you go Melanie!)

blog comments powered by Disqus