Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Baked Beans Failure

I was so excited. 

I had been working on tonight’s dinner for two days. 

Folks – seriously, this is HUGE. I, prego-Jodi, thought ahead!  I haven't done that in 10 weeks! (Plan ahead for a meal that is.)

I soaked and sprouted my beans. 

reviews 026 

I got out all of my ingredients this morning to create the perfect supper for tonight.  I was following all of Sally’s suggestions.  (Sally Fallon, that is, author of the amazing cookbook, Nourishing Traditions.)

reviews 029

We would have homemade baked beans, sauerkraut, chicken sausage, and hearty bread. 

I even called my mom about it this morning.  I was so excited to use my Dutch Oven that she gave me at Christmas.

A wholesome meal, perfect to restore my body after my first workout in . . . oh . . . umm . . . since our ski trip.  Gulp.  I was so excited to bless my MIL with a home cooked meal since she always gets our Wednesday night meal ready after I have been away for a quiet afternoon and she managing a three-ringed circus. 

But alas . . . not tonight.

Look.

The lid ALONE tells the whole story.

reviews 033

Burnt.  All. The. Water. Disappeared.

I honestly followed the directions to the letter.  I have been craving beans that won’t make me . . . you know . . . fart. 

The sauce was delicious.  The beans.  Hard.

reviews 032 

So it appears that I have a lot to learn about using a Dutch Oven.  This was my first time using the Dutch Oven for its intended purpose . . . from the stove-top to the oven.

I was going to show you the recipe and all that fun stuff . . . but I can’t.  Your dinner might turn out like mine.

Dark.  Dry. Hard. Burnt.  A heavenly smelling house with nothing to show for it.

blog comments powered by Disqus