Thursday, March 11, 2010

Exergen TemporalScanner: A Review

I understand not wanting to have your temperature taken from a location . . . shall we say . . . around your gluteus maximus muscle.  I don’t plan on EVER subjecting my children to that kind of health care. 

I also can see why it would be a hard concept for a baby to hold a thermometer under their tongue for a short period of time.   I suppose it could even be slightly dangerous.  

I remain a little confused why my kids hate me taking their temperature from their ear.  The scan only lasts 5 seconds and it’s not like I am digging for ear wax.  Yet, it still annoys them.

But under the arm.  What is the big deal?  Why the squirming?  Why the fuss?

The solution?

Exergen TemporalScanner

imageAfter taking the protective cap off, this nifty little contraption is gently rubbed over the middle of your child's forehead to their hairline, taking less than two seconds.   Due to new and improved technology, the scanner captures “naturally emitted heat from skin over the temporal artery, which runs across the forehead and is directly connected to the heart via the carotid artery,” according to a press release from Exergen.

Being a mom of three children, hindsight has shown me that I need a fast and EASY way to take my children’s temperatures when they are sick.  Already uncomfortable, they don’t want me poking and prodding them.  (Heck, I could even take their temperature in their sleep and they would be none the wiser! ) 

image (Not my child.)

As a first time mom, I most likely would have been dissuaded by the price.  The thermometer retails from $29-$49 depending on where you shop (Wal-Mart, Walgreens, Costco. Babies R Us, Toys R Us, and Sam’s Club).  But six years into this job, I see the wisdom and convenience of using a noninvasive thermometer.  I would be sure to put it on my registry and if I didn’t get it . . . use those gift cards for this nifty contraption. 

But is it reliable?  Each thermometer is tested 6 times during the manufacturing process.  The Exergen TemporalScanner is accurate to within +.2 degrees Fahrenheit, which is actually more accurate than taking the temperature any other way (orally, rectally, under the arm, and in the ear).  Get this amazing fact – it takes 1,000 reading per second, selecting the most accurate.  Fascinating.  How does that work.  The wonders of technology.

If only I would have had this product 3 weeks ago!  Exergen where were you when I needed you?  Nevertheless, I am thankful that Exergen sent me this product to review for free through my affiliation with MamaBzz

To learn more about Exergen, visit them on Facebook.  Additionally, should you desire to purchase an Exergen TemporalScanner here is a rebate for $5 for your use. 

Or if you would like to win one, head on over to MamaBzz because the Mel’s and a few other ladies are hosting Exergen Temporal Scanner giveaways!

blog comments powered by Disqus