Monday, March 8, 2010

Graphic Toolbox: A Review

The Hottie Hubby amazes me with his savvy knowledge of using computer programs.  He flutters around like a masculine butterfly in Word and Excel and programs that I know nothing about . . . engineering related stuff.

It amazes me.

I always ask, “How did you know how to do that?”  Things just seem to happen like magic for him on the computer screen.

How does he do it?  He learns the program.  Sometimes he goes to training sessions.  But he studies it and USES it.

Well, I sat in on a training session for Graphic Toolbox as part of my involvement with The Old Schoohouse Homeschool Crew.  We were given the opportunity to use and review Graphic Toolbox ($149 or free for a 30 day trial). 

image

I was pretty excited initially about acquiring this design program.  I am often curious how other moms design worksheets and find myself feeling slightly ambitious about creating my own pintables. 

But after sitting through the EXCELLENT and easy-to-understand tutorial, I discovered that the design work and attention to details isn’t one of my “skills.”  That is why the Hubby is the engineer and I just want him to create things for me.  Or I want my bloggy friends to create my homeschooling printable and I will just print it when I need it. 

Graphic Toolbox can do an amazing array of all things creative on the computer.  For example, you can change the color of an image, cut a person out of a picture, combine several pictures, create Christmas and birthday cards, and design business flyers (and I really haven’t even mentioned everything that it can do).  You can learn how to make some of the above mentioned crafts during one of their many online tutorial sessions.

The history of Graphic Toolbox is pretty unique. It was developed by Lynda Holler and William Tsao in an effort to provide an affordable professional grade design program for home use.

Though I think it is a neat program, it would probably not be something that I would purchase.  Should the boys show an interest in design and image manipulation . . . I would consider purchasing it.  But currently, I rely on my amazing blog designer, Jessica, over at The Frilly Coconut, or just ride on the coattails of the wonderful mom bloggers who create and share pintables.

Click on the Homeschool Crew banner to read other reviews on this product.

As a member of The Old Schoolhouse Homeschool Crew, I was given this product to review, and I do not have to return the product to the vendor. I was not paid for this post. All opinions expressed in this post are delightfully mine. I imagine the Hottie Hubby will learn to use this program.

 

Technorati Tags:
blog comments powered by Disqus