Monday, March 15, 2010

Square Foot Gardening

Season 4 is beginning.  I mean that I have officially launched into my 4th growing season.  My hands seem to have a forever smudge of dirt. 

puppet show 024

My model:  All New Square Foot Gardening: Grow More in Less Space!

Daily I visit this little incubator that is showing some signs of wear.  But despite the lack of humid conditions . . . I have sprouts.

puppet show 025

What have I planted?puppet show 027

  • Roma tomatoes
  • Brandywine Tomatoes
  • Grape tomatoes
  • kale
  • Barcole Lettuce
  • Spinach
  • eggplant
  • cauliflower
  • broccolipuppet show 026
  • Bell Peppers
  • Orange Bell Peppers
  • Jalapeño Peppers
  • watermelon
  • lavender
  • thyme
  • basil
  • cilantro
  • parsley

There may be a few more plants, but I just don’t remember.  I still have two more trays to fill. 

Typically, I use Mel’s Mix which is a combination of three different items: 

  • 1/3 vermiculite
  • 1/3 peat moss
  • 1/3 compost (from a variety of sources: manure, mushroom, vegetable scraps, leaves, etc.)

Over the years, I have found this homemade soil to be nutrient rich and provide a good balance of natural fertilizer for a healthy and flourishing garden.  I NEVER use fertilizer or chemical pest control.  I simply create a natural pest control by using onions, garlic, naturism, and marigolds.  

And on one occasion, I even ordered ladybugs. 

We allow spiders and bugs to flourish . . . and are always looking for a fat worm to transplant to our square foot gardens. 

puppet show 028

There they are.  Waking up.  The garlic has begun to emerge and some cilantro and parsley survived the winter . . .

Looks to be an exciting season.  But I feel that way at the beginning of every spring. 

What have you planted?

blog comments powered by Disqus