Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Homemade Protein Bar

We got a new recipe for “protein bars.”  We’ve been tweaking it, though. 

The first time it looked like this . . .

school 008

I’m not giving you much confidence that this will be a good recipe . . . hey, the photo was forced and I was making them work together.

Here is a close-up:

school 009 

The great thing is that this particular protein bar is incredibly easy to make.  BUT . . .

You have to have ingredients that you like. 

I don’t get along with goat protein powder.  But I can tolerate it in this recipe.

school 010

My favorite protein powder – Mercola Chocolate protein powder.  I have it on order.  Until then . . . I’ll ingest my protein powder vicariously through my children. 

school 057

Mr. Smiley LOVES goat protein powder.

school 060

But you don’t care about all of this.  However, I hope that I have created enough drama and anticipation that you will want to try out the recipe and let me know how YOU changed it.

Homemade Protein Bar

Ingredients

  • 1 cup honey (I suppose you could use maple syrup, instead.)
  • 1 cup almond butter (I like it better with peanut butter.)
  • 3-4 tbls freshly ground flaxseeds
  • 3 scoops whey protein powder
  • 1 cup sesame seeds (I could do without these.)
  • 1/2 cup dried fruit (dates, raisins, blueberries, etc.)
  • (We added 1-2 tbls of cocoa, too!)

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Heat the almond butter in a pot until it is runny.  Remove from heat.  Add honey and mix until smooth.  Stir in flaxseed, protein powder, and additional ingredients.  Once thoroughly mixed, spread into an 8x8 pan and bake in the oven for 8 minutes.  Allow pan to cool and then place in the refrigerator to harden.  Cut and enjoy.

Note:  The Hottie Hubby has been enjoying these for his breakfast, bike rides, and an after-workout snack.

blog comments powered by Disqus