Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Word Filled Wednesday: Igloos in July

Building an igloo in July seems like a very foolish thing to do. 

igloo 006

Even with milk jugs.

igloo 001 

I would have preferred large chunks of SQUARE ice.  It probably would have been easier. 

Several kind friends saved milk jugs for me.  (Thank you!) We accumulated over 70 milk containers.  I really should have thought through this project a little bit more.

This is what the Hottie quoted to me . . .

Suppose one of you wants to build a tower. Will he not first sit down and estimate the cost to see if he has enough money to complete it? For if he lays the foundation and is not able to finish it, everyone who sees it will ridicule him, (Luke 14: 28,29)

igloo 002

Imagine.  Showing your house to complete strangers and it appears that you have a weird obsession with collecting milk jugs.  Not to mention, storing that many containers takes up a of space . . . something that we are trying to convince people that we have lots of. 

The night I began constructing our igloo I was in a bad mood.  And I will have you know that I did read the directions.  But I didn’t plan entirely.  I just plugged in the hot glue gun and went to work.

The Hottie took one look at what I was doing and said, “Do you have a plan? Do you even know if you have enough jugs?”

Who does he think he is . . . an engineer?

I’m a homeschooling mom.  Crafts are part of my job.  I know what I’m doing.  Plastic is different from concrete.  Do I have enough jugs?!  Pshaw.

igloo 005

I didn’t have enough jugs.  I realized that after I had constructed, glued, and double taped the second row.  And I figured that I had 6 more rows to go in order to enclose the igloo.

Umm . . . Hottie, how would I go about knowing how many jugs that I need?”

His reply, “Do you REALLY want to know?”  Oh, that man knows me all to well.

I knew that this meant his response would be a long and detailed one . . . involving paper, a pencil, a diagram, and potentially a calculator. 

Let’s just say that I didn’t have enough jugs, patience, glue sticks, and flexible belly muscles. 

But the boys pretended that their igloo had a roof.  Aren’t igloos supposed to be colorful?

igloo 003

They only played in it about . . . oh . . . a grand total of 5 minutes.  It was hot.  Of course it was hot!  Igloos are meant for winter!  

This post was written in honor of our Hideaways in History study . . . I would recommend that you take the suggestion in the teacher’s manual and make an alternative when you come to week 4 in the Hideaways in History curriculum. 

For other Wordless Wednesday posts that actually don’t have a lot of words in them, check out 5 Minutes for Mom.

blog comments powered by Disqus