Thursday, March 17, 2011

Taking the Food Out of Me

Even though I didn’t get pinched today . . . I realized that I’m still kind of angry. (Although it’s hard to be angry when you are holding Miss Sweet Pea.) 

parade 050(By the way, I wore my green U2 “I went to the concert” shirt. No St. Patrick’s Day pinches for me!) 

I’m angry at Adam and Eve.

I simply want to blame someone else for my issues. 

I just wish they could have mustered up a bit more self-control (than myself) in that meticulously manicured, seed bearing, organic haven of a garden.  (OK . . . so I’m also a little jealous that they had a tutorial with The Big Guy on horticulture.  Seriously . . . I can’t imagine having God show me first hand the lush leaves in Eden!)

I know that I need to get over it. 

The reality is that until perfection comes (1 Corinthians 13:10) my imperfect is going to be glaringly obvious. 

I have three choices:

  • to accept the facts and embrace the large fat molecules that are antagonized by my thyroid,
  • stay on medicine forever
  • or seek positive change that will offer a better quality of life though difficult for a season. 

And that is just me. 

There are five other reasons why some harsh better changes most likely need to be made in our home.  I actually crossed out harsh this time . . . not to be funny . . . but to help myself believe that some changes don't have to seem like the end of the world.

When the Hottie and I discuss my ongoing attempts to lose my baby weight (that is exacerbated by having PCOS and Hashimoto's thyroiditis– two great reasons to be fat but in actuality are EXCUSES) he often points out that I have to realize and believe that the changes . . . the discomfort . . . the self-denial are worth it for the end result:  feeling better.

God, please!  Please let that be forever present in my thoughts.  Because on my own, I am failing.

I want to be the fit soccer football mom who jumps out of her Loser Cruiser minivan wearing a tiny tank (though I never would) and have the Hottie nudge his oldest son . . . and say . . . “That’s your mom; she’s my girl.  I gotta’ a woman.”

OK . . . not really.  I feel like I jumped into a Hallmark card or something. 

I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to do what it should. Otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others I myself might be disqualified.  (1 Corinthians 9:27)

Not only do I want to know – really know – Scripture, but I want to offer my body to the Lord for His work.  His.  Not mine.

I can’t do that if I am tired.  Or if I am afraid I’m going to bust my knee.  Or worse . . . pee in my pants. 

002

I can’t tell all of you to go buy organic and ferment and sprout and load up on that coconut oil, if I am stuck at the very bottom of the 5 gallon barrel of Tropical Traditions coconut oil that was delivered by the huffing Fed Ex driver this morning.

I don’t want to be disqualified. 

I don’t want my life to disqualify you.  Give you an excuse to be fat.  Or for you to continue to eat unhealthy.  Or chow down on raw milk if your gut is unhappy.  Or indulge in that sprouted whole wheat cookie if you need to step away from grains for a season.

I told you before that I need to change.  Maybe you do to?

And I have been.  Thanks B.E.E. 90x.

Yes . . . I have been. 

But more is in order.

And wouldn’t you know it . . . God provided just the lifeline that I needed. 

My guide into this journey will be Ann Marie, from The Cheeseslave.  I’ve silently stalked her for some time.  However, she knows who I am now.  I’ve been leaving comments on her blog(s) and emailing her. 

For once . . . I don’t want to study alone.  I’m tired of figuring things out on my own laurels. 

parade 057

(Nursing Naomi at the St. Patrick’s Day parade today. What I eat affects her.)

Seriously, I heart bread and chocolate.  Barley.  Quinoa.  Sweet brown rice.  These aren’t evil foods.  But myself and perhaps even others (more so) in my family need to get some food out of us (for a season).

Not our entire lives. 

009(a meal from Cara’s GAPS menu plan ) 

The subject/courseReversing Food Allergies 

The textbook: probably Ann Marie’s life (which is testimony itself) and the GAPS book

What am I going to learn?  I’ll highlight what I desperately need help with --

  • Why the GAPS Diet Works
  • How Long to Stay on the Diet
  • Stocking the Kitchen
  • Healthy Fats & Smoke Points
  • preparing breakfasts and lunches (Cara has helped me a lot with her GAPS menu plans.)
  • snacks, appetizers, desserts, and sweets
  • Probiotics & Other Recommended Supplements
  • The First 4 Weeks: The “Intro” Elimination Diet
  • How to Introduce New Foods

Curious?  If you have some of the same symptoms as us in your family such as moodiness, arthritis, psoriasis, eczema, or an autoimmune disorder . . . you might consider learning more about Ann Marie’s online course, Reversing Food Allergies

Other issues that can be helped by following the GAPS diet: autism, heartburn (reflux), indigestion, bloating, cramping, constipation, diarrhea, asthma, dyslexia, ADD or ADHD.

Phew.

The cost is $149, but use the code HEAL and receive $20 off (valid until March 28th)!  The course includes:

  • 12 lessons
  • 50 video tutorials
  • over 200 printable recipes!
  • lifetime access to our online support forum.

Simply reading a book, won’t give me all of that information.  And I need information quick.  And not to be whinny (since we don’t speak that language in our house . . . very much), I want someone to teach me. 

Classes start April 6th.

A real person.

Maybe one day I’ll meet Ann Marie.  Maybe she can help me like liver.  Or brain. 

Maybe.

And just maybe by the end of the summer . . . I will have taken the food out of me.

blog comments powered by Disqus