Wednesday, September 28, 2011

I Got GAPS . . . You Got GAPS

It happened late in life for me.  I didn’t see Rocky until my mid-30’s.  Yes.  I know.  I was deprived.  I think I would be content to dismiss the sequels to this somewhat infamous movie. 

I’m glad I saw the movie just to add two movie lines to my mental archive.  One is personal . . . since a friend of ours has this name.

Adriannnnnnnneeeeeeeee!”

and the other I love to say to the Engineer or whenever I talk about GAPS . . . two totally non-related subjects.  (But it made for a good intro . . . )

“I got GAPS you got GAPS, but together we don’t got no GAPS.”

I wrestle with this whole GAPS thing.  I don’t want to have to go on a particular diet.  I simply don’t want to do it.  I wish with all my might that when I became a new creation in Christ, that my body got healed at the same time. (2 Corinthians 5:17)

IMG_2535

But it didn’t.  And no matter what I do, it won’t EVER be totally healed until I meet my Maker on that beautiful day of His return or my demise. (1 Corinthians 13:10)

However, I wrestle with God about this issue – food and health.  I want to point the finger, figure out, or blame circumstances . . . lack of knowledge on why I have some gut issues.  Thyroid failure.  Blahs. 

Stupid.  This type of illogical and circular thinking will get me nowhere. 

And when it comes down to it, what is the big deal about changing the way I eat for 30 days?  I haven’t been having much grain anyway . . . what’s the big deal about eliminating milk . . . coffee . . . chocolate?

Food shouldn’t consume my thoughts.  Hello idolatry. 

I like to make a lot of excuses to explain what could be titled as addiction.  Here are my excuses: 

  • I’m going to the Apologia Live conference . . . . I want to purchase a Venti coffee on my drive up to Chicago
  • . . . or not particularly desiring to haul a crockpot up to my hotel room along with cloth diapers and a pack-n-play. 
  • And seriously, I doubt my  my roomies want me to anoint their clothes with the warm aroma of . . . chicken.
  • Can’t forget the fact that Relevant is at the end of the month . . . the Engineer’s birthday . . . and many other October birthdays . . . .

There will always be an excuse or a celebration.  I can keep putting my health off and watch my issues grow.  This will make me a FANTASTIC candidate for The Biggest Loser, of which I do plan on applying for regardless.

I have got to slay this dragon once and for all.  I have told you that before.  I sound like a broken record that lacks superglue.

All this to say, don’t forget to prepare.  Make some stock.  Cut some veggies.  Toss or give away foods that might sabotage your road to healing.  If you are eating bread . . . try to taper off before Saturday.  Consider grabbing a copy of The Mood Cure  . . . sometimes our cravings are related to things lacking in the brain . . . like aminos. 

Just saying.  Remember, we don’t plan to fail we fail to plan.  So think ahead.  Come up with solutions BEFOREHAND for those events that you will encounter the 30 days you opt in on the intro diet of the GAPS protocol. 

Your belly will be glad you did.

And I ask . . . please pray for me. Pray that I would resist temptation and both start and finish this task ahead of me with determination, perseverance, and joy – always keeping the prize before my eyes. 

Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win.  (1 Corinthians 9:24)

You can still get your copy of the Intro GAPS Guide!  The challenge begins Saturday, October 1st!

blog comments powered by Disqus