Monday, June 14, 2010

Application For A Mission Statement

Being in God’s creation, especially when the location is majestic . . . grand . . . powerful – brews undercurrents of change, exploration, and often a deeper desire for more of God in my soul, in my life.

Lake Michigan 066 Lake Michigan

It is something that I can’t shake.

And an issue that keeps coming up.

I don’t want to be mediocre.  I want my life to mean something.  Like the waves beating against the sand inspire and almost force change . . . so do I want my life to be.

Lake Michigan 070

I feel like God has called us to more.  A greater vision.  A greater purpose.  I don’t want to miss out.  I don’t want to let the big fish go.

Lake Michigan 108

Conveying this is rather difficult.  I don’t want to know the plans that God has for me . . . I want the vision He has for my family.  I want the big picture.  I want to know the calling, the purpose, the reason.  I want to know that we are on the right path – about some serious Kingdom business. 

Lake Michigan 020

If people can't see what God is doing,  
   they stumble all over themselves;
But when they attend to what he reveals,
   they are most blessed. (Proverbs 29:18, The Message)

The task before my family is to discover this overarching purpose for our family.  A task that requires prayer, time, journaling, discussion, and sacrifice.

Lake Michigan 138

I just don’t want to take up space.  I want my carbon footprint to mean something. 

As I ponder this, will you also do likewise?  Will you join with me in the challenge of seeking God to perhaps make a mission statement for your family? 

Not a set of rules . . . but something from the Lord that you can impart to your children . . . inspire them with . . . allow them to join in with you as you serve together. 

Something to cause a revolution in your family.

Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates.  (Deuteronomy 6: 4-9, NIV)

blog comments powered by Disqus